_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Hobby Lobby, not just for cheap models anymor
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
I made my usual trip to Hobby Lobby last week during their 1/3 off model sale and found other goodies while I was there. I had checked out their railroad section for things like moss and other ground cover items but thought the prices were a bit high. Just proves my theory that anything labled "model" or "hobby" immediately goes up in price. I went over to where they have supplies for flower arranging and found quite a few items for ground cover that was much cheaper. Among them was a bag of moss that was probably three times as big as a similar bag in the railroad section while costing half as much. Check out other craft type stores in your area for things like this.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
The craft section @ wally world Has stuff. Take a Chance and Brave The CRAFT stores. Dried flowers / Plants Work great in Dioramas.
kglack56
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
Huh, thought I was the only one to notice that. Another example: in the model section they sell a bag of "stirring sticks" (wooden popsicle type) for about three dollars for maybe 20 sticks. In the kids/craft section...they were on sale for 77 cents...per 1000 count.

Ya got to look on every row in that store...

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
Absolutely true, at the moment (as is the custom here) the general public is busy constructing nativity scenes in their houses. Therefore lots of the shops are full of articles to 'enhance' their creations. Dirty great bags of moss (60 cents each) large bags of dried bark (60 cents as well) and best of all, huge bags of micro-ballons for, yes you've guessed, 60 cents.... And small tree type thingies and camels and 3 wise-men.....what a great time of year to buy diorama stuff.....Jim (:-)
 _GOTOTOP