_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Do any of you modelers live near Agawam MA
MichaelD413
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 163 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
I was just curious if there are any armor modelers near me. I know of no one who shares my hobby and it kind of sucks. I'm in Agawam MA which is in western mass on the Connecticut border...If any of you do live near me, let me know where...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hey, neighbor, you have a model club that meets right next door to you in West Springfield, normally on the first Thursday of the month at the First Congregational Church at Park and Lathrop Street, but due to weather, this has been postponed to this Thursday (16 January) at 7:00 pm. We are having a display at the New England Air Museum on 19 January which is also their open cockpit day. Our 24th annual contest will be held in Chicopee on 30 March. See the link in my signature for more details or visit us on Facebook.
MichaelD413
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 163 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
That's funny...I had no idea there is a meeting place so close to me...how many people usually attend the meetings...what do you guys do at your meetings...I stick to 1/35 armor...are there any other modelers into 1/35 armor like me?
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 12:28 PM UTC
Sorry, I moved away about 48 years ago.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 12:30 PM UTC
This week, we'll be talking about the contest. I build some armor (3 Humvees near completion) as well as figures. I'm just completing a 1/48 B-17 commission for an Agawam guy. There are a couple other guys who dabble in armor as well. Several of us do figures, another few do aircraft, and some guys do cars. There's relatively little in the way of ships. We usually have about 20 guys in attendance. At our February meeting, we will have a presentation on Arthur MacArthur, father of Douglas, who has conections to Chicopee and Belchertown. Hope you can stop by on Thursday.

Membership is $15 from July through June, which includes the newsletter. You will also get a discount at all the local hobby shops: Pioneer Valley in West Springfield, Craftec in East Windsor CT, Time Machine in Manchester CT, Spare Time in Marlboro MA and Turn 4 Hobbies, in West Boyslton MA.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 03:15 PM UTC
I live in Palmer MA. I've been a Wings and Wheels Club member for over 20 years. That's a long time. I don't always attend meetings anymore, (I'm kinda disabled and i'm using that for an excuse and sticking to it hahaha, but I will vow this to you. There are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet in our club. I think on average there's between maybe 20-30 ish people a month show up? Al could maybe give you a different number. The club has everything, Armor, winged, cars and some insanely amazing figure guys. You join and you'll feel at home. The meetings discuss are very organised. Very. They discuss those who traveled to other shows and share their experience, others will report on let's say a museum they attended. There's also club business, the details needed to pull off one of the best model shows in New England every year. Feel free to share your ideas. Then when all is done and said, they discuss who brought what on the table. Each person that brought a model describes how they achieved the end result, or ask questions about the best possible way to proceed with their work in progress. When that is done, it's generally free time. The formalisations subside and people can now talk freely to each other, face it, you've got to have order with one person talking at a time during the business part of the meetings right? So it's basically, free time when you get there, the meeting is called to order, business, show and tell, free time. Once a year they have a pizza party, on the house, (after the annual show) around Christmas, some folks bring grab bag gifts, bring one, ya get one... You can buy, trade or sell your models there, it's great! You WILL improve Your skills, plus you'll meet guys you can car pool to area model shows in Ct. NY, PA, NH, MA., all over. Hope to see ya there.
John.
 _GOTOTOP