Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Left Handed Guns
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 04:38 PM UTC
I understand that the majority of infantry weapons are built for right-handed people - but what about left handed ones? Are there custom built ones for these people?
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 05:07 PM UTC
Normally no, but I believe that there are weapons that can be fired from either side. Most weapons however, eject the spent casing to the right and back, so if you fired the weapon from the left the casing would pass in front of your face or hit you in the forehead. Not good in the heat of battle. Most militaries would not invest in "custom" left handed models as left handedness accounts for 11% of the population.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:43 PM UTC
Well, you maybe right. I just remembered our ROTC training where we had an actual firing of the M16. One of my comrade was a left handed. After shooting, the empty shell, which is still very hot got into his shirt and he almost screamed it all out. Some other had an empty shell struck their forehead! Lucky for me, being a left handed, I never experienced those and I certainly would not like to. Even after a few seconds, it still is hot!
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC
I am what you consider a right handed person but shoot left handed. Go figure. When isuued a weapon for the field or the rifle range. I was given a Brass Deflector. It was an L shaped piece of plastic with a ball bearing on a spring that you stuck in the carrying handle over the ejection port of the weapon. It worked out alright. It was suppose to knock the shell down and to the right, instead of going up and over.
I guess these were cheaper than to custom build the weapons for us lefty shooters.

Paul
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
Most Semi automatic weapons would Probably get The Deflectors. Now in the World of Shotguns I Believe Left handed weapons are a little more Common.

my .02 cents
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 08:55 PM UTC
The Steyr which is the Australian infantry rifle is easily adapted from left to right handed. Being a modular weapon you change the bolt from a typical right handed version to a left handed and change the clip in ejection port cover from the left side to the right side of the rifle.

more info: http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Rifles/Steyr_AUG.htm

Hope that helps

Cokes
IDHUNTER
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:12 PM UTC
In my experience in the Army, I fired an M16. Throught Basic Training we fired an M16A1, which as previously mentioned, lead to the use of a brass deflector for lefties. Once I arrived at my unit, we recieved the M16A2, which had a brass deflector molded into the upper receiver. If you happen to look at modern photos of an M16 you will likely see a little hump directly behind the ejection port on the RH side. That is the brass deflector.
I have a little experience with other military type weapons and although I am not left-handed, it would seem that the casings eject more directly to the right and up. For the most part I thnk lefties have to find ways to deal on their own.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
:-) When the SLR (self loading rifle, similar to the FN, but without auto capability) was in service we practiced firing both right and left handed. This was so you could stay properly behind cover. The empty cases were ejected to the right, on all weapons, no left handers. When firing left handed the empty cases were ejected, as has been said, across the face. This wasn't a problem becuase it wasn't noticable. With the advent of the SA 80 bullpup desgin firing left handed is impossible. Although the barrels of the 2 weapons are of a similar length, the breach of the SA 80 is behind the pistol grip. This makes the overall weapon much shorter, but puts the ejection opening level with the face. This is obviously OK for a right handed shooter, but if you tried to fire left handed you would get the hot empty cases ejected into your left ear.......ouch :-)
Mal
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:18 PM UTC
I think one of the French weapons can be switched from right to left hand as being a left hander myself and as long as you get used to handling the SA80 you dont have an issue with it now firing it on the ranges with a respirator on a timed shoot is something else.............