_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Academy 1/400 titanic
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hi all just ordered from ModelDockyards the limited edition with wooden decks and photo etch can't wait for it to come. Has anyone on here built her I am used to scratch building and have not built a plastic kit since I was a young lad I like to add details but can't think what I could add to this kit (can you tell I am excited) time to do some research.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC
There is this link:

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/188555

Seems there are some accuracy issues with that kit ;/

Cheers
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC
Thanks for that I am no where near as good as him but at the same time don't mind a challenge (for instance photo etch don't include banister rails ) i may not cut the model about but don't mind adding details and I think the average person won't know if stair rails or port holes are missing ( mind you it is so simple to correct that I may go that far ) once again thanks for your input I am so excited about this I am like a little boy again only modeling can give this experience.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for that I am no where near as good as him but at the same time don't mind a challenge (for instance photo etch don't include banister rails ) i may not cut the model about but don't mind adding details and I think the average person won't know if stair rails or port holes are missing ( mind you it is so simple to correct that I may go that far ) once again thanks for your input I am so excited about this I am like a little boy again only modeling can give this experience.

So now that means you will have to post pic's of you build. That link I posted for you sorta sucked the wind out of my sails on ever starting mine. Maybe I will build the puzzle that comes with the kit

Cheers
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC
I am sorry I did not know you had the kit the one I have bought is the premium edition not the centenary edition I would never want to upset another modeler and so will be leaving this site sorry I never intended to upset anyone.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am sorry I did not know you had the kit the one I have bought is the premium edition not the centenary edition I would never want to upset another modeler and so will be leaving this site sorry I never intended to upset anyone.

Hold on there. You did not upset me. I was just doing some light humor . Besides others may chime in on this post with much more info then me....

Cheers
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
entire network: 1,049 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Get back in here fool ....

I want to see the build, maybe it will inspire me to get off my ass and build one of mine. I've got an Academy one that I was intending to cut up and do as a seabed wreck ala some of the Ken Marschalls paintings and I have a bigger wooden hulled/plastic hybrid cutaway model which came in weekly books.

cheers
Brent
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 10:44 AM UTC
I am. Sorry (again) i thought I had put you off just by mentioning the kit. It can't be that bad surly if you have it while. Not build it
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am. Sorry (again) i thought I had put you off just by mentioning the kit. It can't be that bad surly if you have it while. Not build it

I am glad you are staying. Build that bugger and post pics. Maybe if I see what you are doing, it might motivate me to start mine. I await your pics kind sir

Cheers

PS - All these cheers is really wreaking havoc on my liver

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi all so it arrived today and here is how it arrived from The Model Dockyard

and when you unwrap the box this is what you get

and what you get when you slide it out of the sleve

and when you open the box

oh and on the side of the box it your ltd ed number

all very impressive (although i think they missed a trick here)the ltd sticker wont come off the box without damaging it which is a shame as you could have stuck it on the stand to show its a limited edition,jus a small point but it would have been nice.Anyway here's what the box contains.

so thats whats in the box, and, excited as i am to start thats all i will be posting tonight think it will be an early night for me think i have caught a bug or something,overall i am well impressed with this kit so far.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Pretty inpressive kit. I've been contemplating purchasing the 1/700 version of this kit. Takes up less shelf space.

Jim
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:09 AM UTC
Interesting. You got a much lower limited edition number then me. I ordered my kit in Sept '12 and my number is 1810/5000. I wonder if they scramble up the order.

Good to see it arrived safely.

Cheers
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:18 PM UTC
Did you get yours from the same place
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you get yours from the same place

I got mine through Squadron Mail Order

Cheers
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC
thats where the numbers happen i recon mine was probably on the shelf at modeldockyards for a while compared to yours.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC
Ok so time to start checked out the hull tonight quite pleased with the fact it is already in one piece but still some work to hide the mould lines where the two halves are joined

very pleased with the side moulding

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 05:09 AM UTC
made a small start on her

decided i am going to light her up, that means drilling out all those portholes but i recon she will be worth it in the end.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:09 AM UTC
So i have drilled all those port holes out now.

i know it dosnt show from the picture but all those port hole have been drilled out, now i just need to start on the ones in the white (going to be a long job).
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:40 AM UTC
You have done it now KP. Now that you drilled out the port holes, you will know have to install some internal lighting.

Cheers
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:30 AM UTC
A small update

here are the decks after removing the parts to apply the new wooden deck

this is how it looks with the new deck(i must say its the first part of the kit which has disappointed me) I thought the wooden decks were pre cut but on only the outline is precut (and that not very well) so i had to cut all the holes out myself (oh they are printed on the wood so you know where to cut) even so 1 mistake and you have ruined the whole kit (since you have already messed the plastic moulded wood up cutting the bits off to apply the real wood) very stressful, and of course i have made my first piece of PE look very closely i am sure you will find it.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 09:05 AM UTC
some of the PE is tiny

problem with bent mast

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
Oh well been knocked back several steps my had the foredeck in the box and my missus put the lid on when she was tidying the dinning room. The mast is bent almost at right angles and the pe ratlines on one side look like a consetina don't know how I am going to straighten that out or if I can straighten the mast this time (she says she didn't notice when she put the lid on it must have been difficult to shut it would have thought). i recon will have to buy some more PE.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi all its been a little while since i last posted but i lost heart a bit after the last catastrophe, but i am back now.
the window photoetch turned up and i have ordered the led's (still have to get some resistors for them but at least they are ordered).
i have cut out my first window and applied my first PE window

there will be more to follow shortly now i am back i mind to do it.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh well been knocked back several steps my had the foredeck in the box and my missus put the lid on when she was tidying the dinning room. The mast is bent almost at right angles and the pe ratlines on one side look like a consetina don't know how I am going to straighten that out or if I can straighten the mast this time (she says she didn't notice when she put the lid on it must have been difficult to shut it would have thought). i recon will have to buy some more PE.

I too have had a similar experience. Several years ago when my kids were young(er), they decimated my finished models collection thinking there were Matchbox or Hot Wheels toys. At any rate my spare parts bin been grew exponentially and my choices for bb-gun targets was not a problem for awhile. Nothing like reliving your early modeling years with your bb-gun vs all them kits slapped together in the '60's/'70's. Oh I would also mention firecrackers(and other pyrotechnics) were involved.
Hope it is repairable. Been following your progress. Moved my anniversary Titanic closer to the - "I might build that someday" pile

Extra Cheers

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:59 PM UTC
I have managed to sort the mast and the ratlines so back on track.
 _GOTOTOP