_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Problems with Future?
chrism
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hi all, those of us in the scale modeling community have used Future or similar product for modeling. I use it for a gloss cote for applying decals and as a decal setting solution. I also like to build a fly model rockets and belong to a couple of rocketry forums. In rocketry, Future is mostly used as a final gloss cote but some people have trouble applying Future and either hate it or don't use it at all. I usually just brush it on and had no problems. How about you, do any of you have trouble applying Future?
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 03:49 PM UTC
I bought 6 bottles of Future before Pledge took it over, and rate it right in with SaranWrap as the greatest inventions of the 20th century.

I use Future mostly as a gloss coat on paint, prior to decal application. Sometimes, I'll seal the decals in with Future, but usually I'll use a laquer for that. The Future is also used as an adhesive for cockpit instruments and to imitate glass in some cases. Canopies are dipped in Future by those who don't know how to polish clear parts; like me.

Not so sure I'd use it on flying models, as it does wash off. Especially when alcohol is used as the cleaning agent. Soap and water will remove Future as well; or at least cloud it. I use Dove soap and warm water to clean it off my canopies before reapplying Future.

I bought the 6 bottles because I can't be without it, and I could see people weren't using it on floors anymore. How long can a floor product last on the shelf if they don't use it on floors anymore.
 _GOTOTOP