_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Trumpeter Master Tools Photo Etch Tools
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
I don't buy photo etch add-ons but I'm finding more of the kits I'm buying do have some photo-etch included.

Up to now been making do with pliers but fancy a tool.

Limited as to what is available at a reasonable price in the UK, and best options seem to be the Trumpeter Master Tools ones.

All ready to buy but for one thing - should I get the Small or Medium size.

Anyone any view or experience?

Cheers,

Nigel
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Have not seen the Trumpeter tool but I have the 'Hold and Fold'

http://thesmallshop.com/

No complaints

RB Productions make some inexpensive folding tools. I think this is a link for your neck of the woods

http://www.spruemart.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=5&Itemid=1&redirected=1&Itemid=1

Cheers
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:17 AM UTC
The Hold and Fold 5 is nice but at $90 it is too expensive for my skill level.

Which Hold and Fire do you have - for 1/35, the SmallShop website suggests the Hold and Fire 5.

Cheers,

Nigel
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:34 AM UTC
I started with the 'Bug' a few years back. I sold it and now I have the 5-speed. Pricey ya but so are kits now adays :/ . I figured instead of 1 or 2 more kits added to my stash I have the tool.

Could check ebay if you are into that.

Cheers
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 11:07 AM UTC
Have a look at these https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/8966

I got the 8 cm version and am very pleased.

Kimmo
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kimmo

Thanks they look interesting but can't find them in the UK.

They look pretty plain and functional, much like the Trumpeter offering. The SmallShop tools have a lot more features but comes with a price tag of 2-3 times the price of the Trumpeter or RP.

There is also some criticism of the SmallShop tools over at a famous Western Australian modelling review site. They found that the very fine fingers on the SmallShop tools (especially reported with the bug) bend slightly over time so that they no longer clamp thin photo etch to the base.

Cheers,

Nigel
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Kimmo

Thanks they look interesting but can't find them in the UK.

They look pretty plain and functional, much like the Trumpeter offering. The SmallShop tools have a lot more features but comes with a price tag of 2-3 times the price of the Trumpeter or RP.

There is also some criticism of the SmallShop tools over at a famous Western Australian modelling review site. They found that the very fine fingers on the SmallShop tools (especially reported with the bug) bend slightly over time so that they no longer clamp thin photo etch to the base.

Cheers,

Nigel

I suppose the worry over the thinnest finger is possible with any manufacturer, depending on use of course. RP delivers anywhere for a flat rate, or at least did when I got mine. I guess it will boil down to what you need it most for. Just thought I'd mention it because it is a very attractive price and have had no issues with mine.

Kimmo
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Which Hold and Fire do you have - for 1/35, the SmallShop website suggests the Hold and Fire 5.

Cheers,

Nigel

You have got to be kidding me . They are that expensive , six months ago I bought the longest one they had and it was under 50 bucks and free shipping from Lucky Models . Granted it took 4 weeks to get to me . Boy you got to get a second job just to support this hobby .
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,

Nigel

You have got to be kidding me . They are that expensive , six months ago I bought the longest one they had and it was under 50 bucks and free shipping from Lucky Models . Granted it took 4 weeks to get to me . Boy you got to get a second job just to support this hobby .

Think they are still $50-$60 in the US, but by the time they get across the pond to the UK they are £55 which is about $90.

Cheers,

Nigel
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC
I would avoid Mission Models. They don't hold the etch very tightly. I find myself using a flat head pair of tweezers, more often than not. Also, the folding blades wear very quickly. I tried a straight razor, but it marred the folding surface. Have you tried ebay.com.uk?
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 05:41 PM UTC
Your local hardware store should have long stripper blades about four inches wide, that are the same that you are given with those hold and fold tools. With some small pliers, flat tweezers and a few of those blades you should be able to do just about anything. Try that first before you she'll out $50 for a new toy. Cheers.
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC
Wanna go super cheap, make your own.
6 inch steel ruler
cutting wheel for your multi tool (dremel)
2 bolts and butterfly nuts
small piece of plexi layered 2 deep and glued together.

Cut some notches in the steel ruler with the disc at various widths. Drill holes in theruler and the plexi, boring a bigger hole for the bolt head. Slap it together and there you have it. I made one years ago using scrap aluminum stock and plexi. I use razor blades to fold it. I would post pics but im away from home for a it of work. Or in place of the bolt and nuts get some quick release skewers like on bike tires or seat posts. Either way should work for you. Best of luck.

Dan
 _GOTOTOP