_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding With Aluminum Foil
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 12:00 PM UTC
The heavy duty kind, of course. What I am interested in are things like scarves, sashes, slings, belts, etc. for figures. The problem I have is, how to paint it so the paint doesn't flake off? And what about adding decals, if you want a pattern? I know that Eduard has made some painted photoetch insignia where you can even crumple and straighten them and the paint remains intact. Has anyone tried this themselves?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 04:56 AM UTC
Getting model paints to stick to any metal parts isi always problematic. If you shape the foil the way you want and then ise a proper primer and then paint, you should be OK, but if you flex the part, expect the paint to come off. There's not really much you can do to prevent it.

You can try dipping the part in vinegar for a little while to surface etch the foil. Test first to see if you get an effect and that the effect doesn't cause any damage to the foil. What you want to see is a darkening of the surface and an elimination of the glossy surface. As soon as you see that, remove the foil and wash with lots of clean water to stop the etch (which is really corrosion in this case).

The cleaned, etched surface will get th best possible results, but model paint will stil flake off if you flex the part much.

Paul
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
The paint on the Eduard PE insignia must be a big company secret then.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 11:38 AM UTC
Lexan is a paint that flexes it's made for plastic bumpers and panels on cars , now are they available in the color you want ?
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 03:16 PM UTC
Vallejo primer (model color) might be worth looking into. It leaves a skin that seems to be quite flexible yet snuggles down really well.

Kimmo
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 05:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lexan is a paint that flexes it's made for plastic bumpers and panels on cars , now are they available in the color you want ?

Are you referring to something like this: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/201_1615_1617/products_id/8923/n/Pactra-Outlaw-Black-Spray-Paint-3oz
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Tom, when I do slings, bino.straps,vehicle straps or whatever
I always give the alu foil a good sanding with 400 or finer sand paper. After that I paint with the colour needed, even without priming. It works for both enamels and acrylics.
I use this method on cat food lids, peanut tin lids, anything in a tube. I hope this is the stuff you're on about.

Paul
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 10:04 AM UTC
I believe that's it .
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom, when I do slings, bino.straps,vehicle straps or whatever
I always give the alu foil a good sanding with 400 or finer sand paper. After that I paint with the colour needed, even without priming. It works for both enamels and acrylics.
I use this method on cat food lids, peanut tin lids, anything in a tube. I hope this is the stuff you're on about.

Yes, exactly! Thanks!
Paul

_GOTOTOP