_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Changing the size of the pictures
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2,663 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 05:34 AM UTC
I have ibuild of the Merit 1/18th. Flak 36 in the large scale section. I think that I used too high a resolution when I posted the pictures in one of my galleries. I'm starting to run out of room for posting new pictures, as I have a new build going on Merits 1/16th M198.
How can I reduce the size of the pictures in the Flak 36 gallery
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Donald,

Ah, you've encountered the bugaboo that bedevils so many of us.

IIRC, KMN gallery is kinda optimized for less than 1,000 pixels; regardless, the bigger the image, the larger the file size. Here is a trick I learned that reduced the file size per image from a MB to a couple of hundred KBs. A lot of image file size is due to formatting by the camera software. I found that if you open the image in another program (I used good ol' Windows Paint for a long time.) and then simple resaved it, that stripped a lot of the previous e-gunk out and dramatically reduced file size.

My now use Windows Live Photo Gallery; it allows me to snare all the images in a folder and resize all as a batch. There are many other photo programs out there that you can use. Or download Paint.Net - lots of editors here at KMN use it.

Hope this helps. If you need more, there are some tutorials in the forums about reworking you images.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
Once a picture has been uploaded there's no way to resize it on the Kitmaker servers. You need to delete the large one and upload a new smaller version (so get the smaller ones ready first). You'll need new file names when you resize or the server will think you're pointing it at the old big picture.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
Do you have a Windows computer?
Windows comes with "Paint"
Paint can re-size images.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC
I use a program called PhotoRazor, have been using it for years and is really easy to use. You can batch resize whole folders and not lose quality.

Get it here:

http://www.stormdance.net/software/photorazor/software%20overview.htm

Cheers Rob.
 _GOTOTOP