_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
MMP Weathering Powders
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
hi all. have any of you tryed MMP Weathering Powders .
and does any body know where i can get them from or if there is a web site.
they look like they are good powders
http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/modelpages/DCkv1mmp.htm
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi Tazz, You can order them right from the link you supplied..I believe they make it. Look at the top of the page . Theres a link for ordering.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:35 AM UTC
I have heard MMP weathering powders are very nice... I just ordered some, so I could tell you more in a couple of weeks.

Mario M.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 04:16 PM UTC
Thanksd for the post. I am goping to have to try them also.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:17 PM UTC
tazz,

I have used these quite extensively on the dd sherman I am building, but in combination with MIG pigments and ordinary pastel sticks.

I have used them in the following manner.

1) use the MMP where I need a heavy build up of dust/muck. As there is pva blended in the material it is has good adhesive properties. I mix up the MMP colur with turps (cheap turps - not refined artists turps) in a 50:50 ratio and then apply it where required. Once the turps has fully dried (use the wifes/daughters/girlfriends hairdrier to speed this up) you can blend the dried MMP into the shapes/areas that you require.

2) use the MIG pigments where you only require a small amount of weathering as their adhesive properties are not as great. I also usually apply MIG stuff on top of the MMP as the MIG colours tend to be more vibrant and bright and so are ideal to bring to life the areas and plus will adhere better on areas that have already been worked in some fashion (ie the surface is not smooth thus giving the MIG stuff something to bite onto)

3) use pastels where I want to blend together MMP and MIG stuff where I do not have a corresponding colour in the latter. I have found applying ordinady pastels on top of MMP and MIG tends to make both of the latter adhere better which I presume is due to agglutants in the pastels (chalk based not oil)

The above is only a rough guide and I tend to use all the above materials in varying ways according to what I am trying to do. ie the MMP is good for thick buildups but MIG is better for fine dust washes (the latter being mixed with humbrol thinners)

Hope some of this helps.

Lee

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
I use pigments but not the ones in Mig's catalog. I just go to the local arts craft store and buy the one they sell. For two euros I buy 1Kg of them. Once you've got two or three basic colours you can mix them as you wish to obtain all the shades you like. With the cost of one Mig's jar I get a lifetime stock of them...
Ciao
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
scoccia

Have to agree with you there, MIG's stuff is not cheap. Even after all the work I do I still find I tend to do all final finishing off with ordinary ground up pastel.

Lee
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
thanks guys one more thing what is MIG pigments and hwta do they do.
and it seems that i still have to use pastel chalk,
i was going top just use the MMP Weathering Powders in stead of the plastels,
but i will just buy 3 ,,ps and check it out thanks guys
 _GOTOTOP