_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Acrylic or enamel paints
melkavitch
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 03:24 PM UTC
Okay, I getting ready to start building after a loooong wait. Now, I think I have my airbrush and compressor sorted out and the question is now what kind of paint? Acrylics have less odor, easier cleanup, but do they cover well? Would enamels be better for a rank beginner with an airbrush?
Thanks,
Mike
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 08:41 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
I think that this is a personal thing and also depends on your circumstances. I personally use enamels because acrylics dry far to quickly in the airbrush tip and block the flow; others say that they don't have this problem. Another reason that I use enamels is that the range that I use, White Ensign Colourcoats, has the best colour matching that there is.

I suggest that you buy the same colour in both enamel and acrylic and test them for yourself. If you are new to airbrushing then remember that it is never the airbrush that is at fault
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 09:37 PM UTC
Mike to follow on from Mal, you also need to set up your airbrush differently depending on if you are using enamel or acrylic, also remember that there are two types of acrylic, water based and alcohol based these require different thinners.

Water based acrylic also works best if sprayed over a primer coat and can also be better if used with a retarder which slows the drying time.

As per Mal, it is a personal choice, I use both enamel and water based acrylics.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC
Note: You can spray MM acrylics and Vallejo Model Air, without reduction. When it comes to acrylics, the lighter the shade of paint, the more difficult it is to brush.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
Mike,
Go acrylics. They are much more durable and manageable than years back. There are half a dozen innovative lines to choose from. Many can airbrush right from the bottle. Most lines have supportive pigment, wash, and effects lines. Acrylics are easy and oh so much safer.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,
...Acrylics are easy and oh so much safer.

This.
save yourself some dain bramage

_GOTOTOP