_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Too many kits...too little time...!
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 02:41 PM UTC
G'Day all. Was sittin at the computer wandering through the modeling sites/stores, and I got to thinking about all the kits I have in my stash and the fact that I'm probably gonna retire this coming 2014 from the printing business at the hospital here in town, and thought about the time it takes to build a kit.

Doing some "rough" calculations I figure there are approx. 175,200 hrs left in the nxt 20 yrs. Take away sleeping, eating, errands and chores, etc., there would be 65-70k hrs left to model.

If I wanted to build 300 of the most wanted kits at approx. 50 hrs per kit, that adds up to 50,000 hrs...again approx.

So, if you REALLY shave it down to something more accurate, it STILL looks like I should be able to "build 'em all" as the saying goes...maybe...!

Sumthin to ponder when your beer gets warm...

Cheers,

unclepine
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 491 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 05:05 AM UTC
I just had a conversation with my wife on this topic. She doesn't understand why, if I have unbuilt kits, I would want to buy more. The way she sees it, I should build them as I get them, and not buy one until I finish one. She can't understand why any of us have more than we could build in a lifetime. Or two lifetimes, for that matter. I told her that it never occured to me that I might not live long enough to build them. There's more to it than finishing them, I guess. I think we like to PLAN building them, too. That's somehow a part of the hobby.

Chris
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
may I suggest something else? Rank all the kits in your stash based on whatever criteria you like. Keep the 25 with the highest score. Give away or sell the rest. After that: enjoy your hobby as a hobby, and when you are not modelling enjoy the other great things in life.

Matthijs
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,386 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
I've been thinking about that for years, so I planned a careful Wishlist and also added a simple rule, if I must build 2 kits in order to buy one.

I know with Trumpeter, Meng, Panda, Dragon .. pouring kits at that rate, I got to build them first !

So far in 2013, 12 Finished kits.
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
I too have a stash that I'll never live the years it will take to work through and build, and it keeps growing.

As Chris points out, planning to build them is just part of the hobby.
However, I also have a dream. That after I'm done practicing, I might be able to take a couple of favorites, and build them into the most accurate, beautiful, and dazzling works of art that will give Mikelangelo a run for his money. A memory that my grandchildren will accually keep and cherish.

Then again, I might just die with a stash of many hundreds of unbuilt models.
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just had a conversation with my wife on this topic. She doesn't understand why, if I have unbuilt kits, I would want to buy more. The way she sees it, I should build them as I get them, and not buy one until I finish one. She can't understand why any of us have more than we could build in a lifetime. Or two lifetimes, for that matter.
Chris

My rejoinder to that if ever my wife would argue the point is "How many clothes patterns do you have? How old are they? How many are still in fashion?" kits don't go out of fashion just get superceded and historical
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Then again, I might just die with a stash of many hundreds of unbuilt models.

you wouldn't be the first and you def. wont be the last !
 _GOTOTOP