_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A few words about a very important day....
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 05:26 PM UTC
We share something in common here.

More than just a shared enjoyment of scale modeling, we share a love of history... We bicker and fight about the accuracy of kits, about the future of our hobby... we get angry and argue about petty differences in likes and interests.

58 years ago today another group of young men shared an interest, they were interested in simply surviving the morning.

Nearly 6 decades ago on this very day thousands of brave young men began the single most important military action in history, the invasion of Europe.
Through rough seas and German fire these boys, most barely in their 20's, managed to cross hundreds of feet of open beach to gain a foothold in Normandy.
They withstood shelling and constant machine gun fire. They withstood the cold and the unimaginable fear...

These young men accomplished something that no one here can even begin to imagine. Thousands died on this day, they died young and scared and cold and very far from home.

These soldiers died for me, for you and for everyone you have ever known or will know.

One of these young men comes into my wife's hobby shop nearly every day. He was there on the beach... he was wounded by enemy fire... he was given the last rights while laying in the sand.
This young man is now 77 years old, with a pronounced limp and a purple heart on his licence plate. His biggest concern now is whether or not we have new magazines for him to browse through.

I have shaken his hand countless times, but tomorrow I am going to add a little more to the handshake.

I will add a "thank you".

This country, this world, owes these boys a debt that can never be repaid; but don't let that stop you from making a down payment on that debt.

If you know a D-Day vet find him today and say thank you. It is the very least we can do.

Dana
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
i know a man that was in the first wave at omaha beach.there were 186 men in his unit,only 3 made it to the beach.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 07:46 PM UTC
Amen Brother
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hats Off, Tools down..... I give all of these brave people a heart felt thanks
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 08:44 PM UTC
Well said there, DG.... Thank you to all those brave men who made the ultimate sacrifice.....and the brave few who made it home....
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
Never have words been more true!
Where would we be today?What culture/nationality would we be today?
I still don't think there is a word to describe the bravery and sheer courage displayed by these men!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 09:36 PM UTC
Well said DG.
There is nothing that I can say to add to your comments.
I think it is very sad that I had no idea anything like D-Day happened until a few years ago. Weather it was poor history classes or ignoance on my part, I can't say I knew the importance if June 6th before I saw the movie Saving Private Ryan. When I first saw the movie, it made me feel two emotions. I was ashamed, that I had never studied very much about one of the biggest events in history. The movie also changed my opinion about war entirely. I used to view battles as cool, glamorous events where the good guys always won and the bad guys were the only side that had people die. Wrong.
War is hell.
I had never imagined, as Scott put it, that one man could assault a beach with 185 other guys in his unit, and only three survive. I will never know what it's like to dodge mortar fire, MG nests, land mines, enemy tanks... or land on a beach that is designed to be a death trap.
My point is, I have a new appreciation for all of the soldiers who fought for our country and our freedom. If there are any military veterans, or people in the service now who read this, I just want to say, "Thank you!"
YodaMan out.

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 09:56 PM UTC
What more can be said? We will never forget.
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The sad thing is......some do.

Yodaman, like you, I never learned about D-Day in school. I hope one day we will go over WWII in school. The only way I have learned about the war was the History Channel, books, and movies. People can't appreciate what they don't know of. I think I heard it put best by an ex-army officer: "Saving Private Ryan was the first movie to make me appreciate that I didn't see any combat, Black Hawk Down was the second."

My grandfather was a top turret gunner in a B-17 during WWII and a day never goes by where he doesn't thank God for returning him home alive.

Mark
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
HeyYoda:
You said that you did not think that you could add anymore to what had already been said; BUT you did. And it was a mouthful. GOOD JOB. You put in a nut shell what so many others fail to understand or comprehend. FOR ME, I 've Studied WW-2 history since I was in Jr High School. But never really made a solid connection to just how terrible that war was and to how much we own our lives and our freedonm until I visited both a War Museum And was allowed to visit A restored B-17G up close. And saw how those guys both LIVED and DIED on a daily basis. You think that will wake you up??!! It did me WAR MOVIES are ONE THING. But see the real thing or visit a time and place from the past and find out for yourself just how much you will learn and the effects that that experience will have on you. We can only be thankful that will will never have to fiind out for ourselves what those young men then found out in such a cruel and deadly way!!!

JUNE 6 1944 IN LOVING MEMORY LEAST WE SHOULD FORGET

DAGGER-1
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
Just visit the Arlington National cemetery right outside DC. Just look and see how many people gave their life for our country. The crosses go for as far as you can see.

Mark

Dagger, there is a place in Michigan where you can go flying in a restored B-17. It costs something like $400 though. Too bad.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yodaman, like you, I never learned about D-Day in school. I hope one day we will go over WWII in school. The only way I have learned about the war was the History Channel, books, and movies. People can't appreciate what they don't know of. I think I heard it put best by an ex-army officer: "Saving Private Ryan was the first movie to make me appreciate that I didn't see any combat, Black Hawk Down was the second."

My grandfather was a top turret gunner in a B-17 during WWII and a day never goes by where he doesn't thank God for returning him home alive.

Mark

I should clarify my statement. Those that served will never forget. And those that remember should educate those that have never learned.
My 2 cents.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
AMEN M-1, AND I know what you mean SPIKE. I'D love to be able to fly in a B-17G and a Fighter plane as well.

DAGGER-1
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:47 PM UTC
Very well said, ladies and gentlemen!

I was one of those few kids who studied history because I liked it, so I always knew what D-Day was all about. I was also chagrined to find that most of my peers not only had no clue, but that few WANTED a clue. Very sad. And ultimately dangerous, as those people eventually vote and make policy decisions without the benefit of solid historical analysis or context to guide their actions.

And about the B-17: The Collins Foundation runs one of those, and a B-24. Flights that last an hour are about $350. A friend of mine (ex-artillery Captain) took the Fortress ride last year and says it was among the best money he's ever spent on entertainment and education together.
Greg
Nailz
Visit this Community
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC
Well said....

I was fortunate to be in the Army stationed at Ft. Meade, MD. So very close to Arlington and the Vietnam War Memorial, if you ever need to be humbled and gain some appreciation about freedom and our way of life, these are the places to go.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very well said, ladies and gentlemen!

I was one of those few kids who studied history because I liked it, so I always knew what D-Day was all about. I was also chagrined to find that most of my peers not only had no clue, but that few WANTED a clue. Very sad. And ultimately dangerous, as those people eventually vote and make policy decisions without the benefit of solid historical analysis or context to guide their actions.

And about the B-17: The Collins Foundation runs one of those, and a B-24. Flights that last an hour are about $350. A friend of mine (ex-artillery Captain) took the Fortress ride last year and says it was among the best money he's ever spent on entertainment and education together.
Greg

Like you, I have studied history on my own since the third grade. I had to find out for myself all these events that shaped our great country. I wasn't even taught about Vietnam in school. I stumbled across it at one point and learned about it on my own.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 12:04 AM UTC
Right You Are Nails. I have never been to visit either of those sites As I have never Been to the D.C area. But the impression that they leave on a person is definantely one that folks will NEVER FORGET. Lets HOPE NOT at least!!

DAGGER-1
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well said....

I was fortunate to be in the Army stationed at Ft. Meade, MD. So very close to Arlington and the Vietnam War Memorial, if you ever need to be humbled and gain some appreciation about freedom and our way of life, these are the places to go.

I was at Ft Eustis and made the trip to D.C. and saw Arlington and the Vietnam War Memorial. A very humbling experience to say the least.

Also the war memorial in Panmunjan, ROK is also humbling.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
It's a crying shame that they gloss over most of history is schools anymore, that's why I get so mad at Hollywood when they make a war movie and do it wrong. They think it doesn't matter, but hell, that's how most of the country learns about history. I have no doubt that there are people walking around that know absolutely nothing about Pearl Harbor except what was in that lame movie. Drives me crazy!

Funny you should mention the B-17 flights in Michigan, the President and Treasurer of my model club went on one of those flights a couple of weeks ago, and we got to see their video of it at the meeting last night. Absolutely awesome. They went up in the nose, and wow! you don't realize how absolutely exposed and vulnerable that position was from building the model. Funny thing was, they were amazed that most of the people on the flight walked around for a few minutes and then sat down - while they were crawling all over the thing! The only place they couldn't go to was the tail gun, simply too crowded and dangerous to go back there.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:04 AM UTC
I've been fortunate enough to visit Arlington, The Wall (Vietnam memorial), USS Arizona, Puchbowl Cemetery, and the eternal flame that burns beneath the Arc de Triomphe to honor the fallen sons of France. Each place is a unique and moving experience. For that matter, so are Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, and Shiloh. Remember them all...
Greg
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been fortunate enough to visit Arlington, The Wall (Vietnam memorial), USS Arizona, Puchbowl Cemetery, and the eternal flame that burns beneath the Arc de Triomphe to honor the fallen sons of France. Each place is a unique and moving experience. For that matter, so are Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, and Shiloh. Remember them all...
Greg

I forgot to mention the USS Arizona, Yorktown, etc..... They all gave me chills.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks Greg and all the rest, One final thought from my end; And it stands pretty much true all around. And it is as follows.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT........

DAGGER-1
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:03 AM UTC
To all those there on that day and the many days that followed, We all salute you
M.P. Smith 503 pir R.I.P.

To absent comrades lest we forget.

ponysoldier
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark

I should clarify my statement. Those that served will never forget. And those that remember should educate those that have never learned.
My 2 cents.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and I agree, those that do remeber should educate those that have never learned.

Mark
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Greg and all the rest, One final thought from my end; And it stands pretty much true all around. And it is as follows.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT........

DAGGER-1

I agree. I think that is the single most approiate statment I heard yet.

Mark

Also....Does anyone know when the WWII memorial in DC will be up? I was pretty sure someone was still building it.
 _GOTOTOP