Discuss general weathering topics here.
Strasburg Railroad Weathering
wingman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 880 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 08:41 PM UTC

Hello. Paid a visit to the Strasburg Railroad in Strasburg, PA. They have some tired looking engines sitting out in the open for some great photo ops not to mention a wonderful running steam engine, not sure what type, not a huge railroad buff, just like the look of these wonderful machines. Hope the photos help with some weathering ideas. Wingman out.
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello. Paid a visit to the Strasburg Railroad in Strasburg, PA. They have some tired looking engines sitting out in the open for some great photo ops not to mention a wonderful running steam engine, not sure what type, not a huge railroad buff, just like the look of these wonderful machines. Hope the photos help with some weathering ideas. Wingman out.

The Amtrak Electric is a E60CP No. 603 -- Originally No. 964 from built in 1976 parked next to the locomotive class it replaced the fist GG1 No. 4800 from 1934. I'm a volunteer at our local railroad museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky http://historicrailpark.com/ our equipment has to be repainted every three years. A museum doesn't want its equipment to get into the shape in your photos. I'm certain the folks at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/ will begin repainting the E60CP soon.

A painted model of the E60CP in with rust like that is usually not a subject considered by model railroaders. Because model railroading is a kinetic hobby and not static like model kits you would not want to paint a locomotive like this. Amtrak is public relations minded and they wouldn't send a rust bucket out on the line in this shape. The only currently available HO model of the E60CP is made by Bachmann Spectrum and retails for $158. There are older models of the E60CP out there in other scales N Scale Bachmann, O Scale Williams etc. I own an HO example made by American GK (considered a collectors model now) and one N Scale example by Bachmann.

Amtrak E60CP on the "Clocker" Monmouth Junction, NJ in 1988.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1964400

I realize that the photos are an interesting study in rust and weathering. I just wanted to provide some background information for our members.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi Wingman,

Some excellent weathering examples here. Brent is correct that today you are unlikely to spot any Amtrak in this shape. However, if modelers model US railroads in the 1970s, this E60CP could be considered in sterling condition! Even today I notice CSX runs some ratty power around here. And steam at various times, depending on the railroad, got pretty rough, too. I'm talking huge areas of rust on mainline power!

BTW, this is an excellent museum, too. It is right across the street from the exceptional Strasburg Rail Road which runs live steam through beautiful Amish Lancaster County. Go see the 2-10-0 and rare M-class 4-8-0 run! (They also host Steampunk genre events!)
 _GOTOTOP