_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Kit questions
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 03:27 PM UTC
My local hobby town has some great prices on some models on the clearance area. I usually think that they are there for a reason but thought I would check with the pro's here and see if the kits are worth getting. Here goes....

1. a 1/48 scale Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer made by Fuman.

2. a 1/35 leopard 2 with improved KWS (I believe it was made by Italeri)

3. 1/35 leopard 2 by ESCI/ERTL

4. Leopard A4 by Academy/minicraft.

5. AMX-30 105 by Heller/Humbrol.

There are some more but these are the ones I would like to build. Also FYI the store is selling the Tamiya 1/16 tiger 1 for $635.99 and the sherman for $468.99 if anyone is looking for either one of those, both are new in box. Please let me know if any of the kits above are good or if they are just crap and thats how they ended up in the clearance pile. Thanks all

I almost forgot. There was also one that was a M60 that had West German marking that looked really cool that I forgot to write down (don't know why, it was the one I liked the most). It was made by Italeri I think, but could be wrong on that one. If you know if that is a good one please let me know. Along with the German markings it was painted gray if that helps.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 05:54 PM UTC
I don't know much about these kits but I know that teh esci and the heller one a quite old...

I baught the ESCI leopard 2, very cheap, on ebay, but I don't know if it's a good kit. So I'd like to hear
about your opinions too !
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1. a 1/48 scale Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer made by Fuman.

Neat little kit is the old Bandai kit. I have one, the "decals" are an uncut sheet of peel and stick stickers with the background tan colored. Dig some smaller markings out of your parts box for this one.

Quoted Text

2. a 1/35 leopard 2 with improved KWS (I believe it was made by Italeri)

This one was overshadowed by the excellent Tamiya kit. The entire Italeri Leo II series did not get well received by the critics, but their Leo Is are excellent. I'd get it if the price was right, love that pointy turret armor.

Quoted Text

3. 1/35 leopard 2 by ESCI/ERTL

I believe this kit was voted the worst Leopard kit of any variant. Go for the Italeri one instead.

Quoted Text

4. Leopard A4 by Academy/minicraft.

I believe this one was a very bad copy of the Tamiya kit, pass it by.

Quoted Text

5. AMX-30 105 by Heller/Humbrol.

Over-engineered using the Heller "why make it in 2 parts when we can do it in 7". I built one and it was an OK kit, not sure about the accuracy.

The M60 in German markings is strange, the Germans went from the M48A2GA2 to the Leopard series and never used the M60. I'm interested if you can get additional information.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
I picked up the 1/48 scale Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer today for $5. the german kit wasn't a M60 its a M48 like you said. It is made by Academy/minicraft. Looks like a pretty old kit and like I said the tank on the cover is gray. I believe this kit was on sale for $10. The box is pretty beat up and actually looks like it may have a bit of water damage, not that I buy for the box. Thanks for the info and let me know what you think of this m48 if you don't mind.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:16 AM UTC
Sounds like the Academy copy of the Tamiya M48A3 with German parts to update it (yes update) to a West German M48A2GA2. Heck if you don't want it, I'd have you get it for me since the M48A2GA2 versions are few and far between.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC
Sounds good to me. I will head in tommarow and pick it up for you. Do you think the italeri leopard a2 is worth $10? It is a cool tanks and there is a huge price difference between the price of it and the Tamiya one. To be honest I would rather pay more for a better kit. Is the Tamiya kit a whole lot better than the italeri kit for the leopard 2. I am going to be shipping some stuff tommarow so I will pick up the kit and mail it off to you tommarow. Like I said the box is in pretty bad shape just to warn you. I will check the message board before I go tommarow to see if you change your mind.

Also, on the 1/48 german kit. What do you think a ballpark figure is on the value of it? Do collectors look for this one? Jus wondering
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
Sounds good Andrew, check you PM for my address. As far as the Leopard 2A5, of course the Tamiya one is superb and the Italeri one not as nice. That being said, it is a good deal at $10. I got my Hetzer from Squardon for $5, they tend to run about $15-20 on eBay.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Over-engineered.......... "why make it in 2 parts when we can do it in 7",,,,,,,,,,,,,,[/b]

Isn't this a German trait?

Tread
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hey Guy's You just answered a question that I had been tossing around for abit have been considering buying the Tamiya Leo-2A4 ( The one with the slopped turrent) But I spotted a Academy kit for less money and suppossedly able to build in any type of four different versions. So naturally I started THINKING WOW ( That was my first mistake-thinking) anyway imagine that save some money, Build one of any four different versions WOW -(COOL ). But after reading this reveiw, I know now that when I get ready I will be going to the local shop and picking up that 53.00 Tamiya kit after all, So I spend a little more money, For a better kit. Better that than buy the cheaper one and end up with a piece of junk for a model tank.
So thanks again for the heads-up

DAGGER-1
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 03:08 AM UTC
Howdy all,
Funny you should post this topic. This very kit was my sons first experience with armor... lol. He did an outstnading job at it too I might add. Where the Tamiya kits are hands down the way to go, the Italeri kits are great kits themselves. If one takes some time and has some patience he or she can produce a very decent looking model when done. I have all the Leo kits that Italeri put out as well as the Tamiya kits. The only way you will know which one is which is if you pick it up and start looking and looking hard. I guess it just boils down to how hard you want to work. If Ihad my druthers......I druther take the Tamiya kit. The other ones are great for practicing your techniques or what have you. Once again just my input.. "Q"
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 04:13 AM UTC
FYI the Italeri Leopard 1A4 (and the various Revell of Germany boxings) are much better kits than the Tamiya Leopard 1 and Leopard 1A4. It was actually one of Italeri's best kits. For some reason, the based the Leopard II on a pre-production prototype instead of the production model accepted into service. One of the prices you pay to be the first one to get the Leo II out as a kit. It still was better than the Esci Leopard II or the Heller Leopard II.

Tamiya skipped doing the early Leo II and jumped to do the Leopard 2A5, this is the best Leopard kit on the market. Italeri's late Leopard 2's are not that bad and are roughly half the price of the Tamiya kit.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

FYI the Italeri Leopard 1A4 (and the various Revell of Germany boxings) are much better kits than the Tamiya Leopard 1 and Leopard 1A4.

So is the academy leopard 1a4 a better kit than the tamiya kit?

And how about the italeri M47 is that a decent kit?

Thanks as alway guys
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So is the academy leopard 1a4 a better kit than the tamiya kit?

Poor copy of a poor kit.

Quoted Text

And how about the italeri M47 is that a decent kit?

One of the best Italeri ever did along with their Leopard 1A4.
 _GOTOTOP