_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Base coat for German soft skin trucks. WW2
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 05:49 AM UTC
Good morning,

After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into doing some modelling, finishing a couple of kits I've been stumbling over for years along with a couple I've purchased.

I'm amazed how much things have changed in the last decade or so. Paints, accessories, etc. and all the new products available. Jeeez, chipping glaze. AquaNet RIP I guess.

TO the point. What is the base color on the Henshel, Maultier and Horsch trucks? I'd like to weather the ones I'm completing. Eastern front, '42/'43. Additionally I'm ready to paint a 7 ton halftrack. Is the base coat hull red with field gray top coat. Flat or gloss. Flat I would think.

Also for the Henshel etc, what adjustments have any of you made to the Dark yellow recommended for those trucks. I've got RAL 7028 along with a selection of colors.

What colors have you used for a base or undercoat of the wooden beds and side boards? When I weather them, I'd like to chip paint down to the wood color, along with streaks of oil and grime. I remember wood brown being available at one time but can't seem to find it. Going to scuff the boards with 100 grit to simulate grain. Canvas and ??? maybe,to simulate oak etc.? Reason: I want to mask off a couple of boards in the bed and on the side rails, then paint with raw wood color to simulate field replacement of the planks.

I've searched the site and can't seem to find answers. Sorry if I've asked a common question that has numerous answers elsewhere on the site. Thanks

Tony C
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC
Good evening
To come directly to the point: I´m not shure if they used the red primer also on trucks...
but there is an easy rule: evrything prior 43´ was painted "panzergrau"/panzergrey, after Feb 43´ they started to use "dunkelgelb"/dark yellow, but only on new vehicles... so you can use grey for some time longer

The color you use is the choice of your personal preference... imposibble to get the "real/correct" color

When I´m painting wood, I start with a yellow/sand tone, after that I´m doing some color variation with different shades of brown oils or acrylics

I guess all the manufacuers (just to mane a few: Opel, Ford, Mercedes, Henschel and Horch (now Audi BTW)) had to follow the same rules, so there shouldn´t be that big diferrence. It´s the same for the all the Maultier-conversions, wich were normal trucks, just with tracks instead of the rear axle.
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 03:51 PM UTC
Thank you Fabian,

Yes, I know August Horsch founded Audi and am familiar with the companys' history. especially the Auto Unions of the Gran Prix years before the war, Nuvolari Rosemeyer, Hans Stuck, Varzi. and their duels with Hans Nuebauers' Mercedes teams, Seaman, Manfred Von B., Caracciola, Herman Lang, and Fangio. Some of the greatest racing ever.

I took your advice and started with yellow on a couple of scrap pieces, and have worked up some wood tones I like with dark tan and just a touch of Russian brown. Using the yellow as a foundation color was the key.

For the engine and transmission I think I'll prime it with dark gray and top coat with field gray, rust the exhaust manifold,natural steel for the intake,(close enough to cast irons' color), black for the air cleaner, fan and fan belt. Add a little greasy oil stains and call it good.

Tony

_GOTOTOP