_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Greetings from Kettering
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
I suppose it is about time I introduced myself as I've been posting for a while. My name is Mike Abbott and have been modeling for, what must be, 50 years. My first kits were bought from an Electrical shop not a Model shop. Kits in those days were usually Airfix with some shops having Frog as well and Currys sold Revell. Glue came in tubes or sometimes little green sachets and you could buy packs of paints, always gloss, in plastic capped glass vials. Get the kit back home, open the bag and rip the parts from the sprue, glue would spread everywhere and paint followed closely everywhere.

As time went by I discovered Kettering had a Model Shop, Ernest Berwicks, it had been around since the 30's and was run by Alan and Muriel Clarkson, the shop was no larger than a cupboard but loaded to the brim. I saw my first Japanese kit here, it was a tank, bright box, glossy plastic and motorised.

Time passed, the shop moved to an address that modelers worldwide would come to know, 11a Newland St, Kettering. My skills improved as did my wallet, I was still at school but could now afford bigger and better kits. I discovered Plasticard, Mek-Pak, matt paint and the trusty Swann Morton hobby knife, all are still available and I still use all of them. Airfix magazine was a must buy, conversions, builds, tips, reviews, all useful info, but, unlike today, the articles concentrated on the build more than the finishing.

Leaving school I began work in an Estate Agents, that didn't last for long as I was offered a job at, you've probably guessed, Berwicks, which had a new owner. This is where I get my moniker from, Berwickboy. Kits were improving all the time, Airfix were regularly releasing exciting kits, one can only think of the F84 Thunderstreak, F86D Sabre, A7A Corsair II. Frog had their established link with Hasegawa begun in the 60's. Monogram were in their 1/48 heyday, century series fighters abounded. Tamiya were producing better and better kits, even in those days they had exceptional fit and detail. Hasegawa were also exceptional. Other manufacturers abounded, LS, Fujimi, Bandai, Aoshima, KP arrived on the scene with a Mig 19 and loads of intake scoops to glue in place. Vacforms were popular, Rareplanes and Contrail . We were also the first retailer to stock Aeroclub from John Adams .

Decals from Almark, Esci and Microscale who also introduced Microset and Microsoft. Humbrol had their Authentic range of paints. In the shop we also sold railways and even there Tri-ang Hornby had new competition in the form of Airfix and Mailine. Importers were A J Hales in Hinkley, their main line being Hasegawa, Richard Kohnstam (RIKO) who imported Tamiya.

There are many model shops from those days no longer around, Beatties, ModelToys of Portsmouth, BMW Wimbledon but one name is still around H G Hannant. We exported all over the world and also had a loyal clientelle, I particularly remember one gentleman from Wisbeach who would visit regularly and liked vacforms.

I left the shop full time with another job but did do Saturday part time for a while. Since then I have mainly dabbled and never seem to finish a kit, my stash is moderate (compared to some) but I still buy.

So there is my potted history, my skills are not as good as in the 70's but I am older and fingers fatter but as I do it for my own gratification, what the heck?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC
Welcome Mike, thats some potted history, I take it from your mention of aircraft that that is your main area of interest?

Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Currently aircraft but I have been known to devote time to armour and soft skin. I also enjoy railway modelling as well
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 01:28 AM UTC
hi mike,when i came down from scotland to corby,i soon discovered berwicks an made many a happy purchase there,mainly wargame figs,that was back in the sixtys,now there is nothing.all the best
arthur
 _GOTOTOP