_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What Tools
Anzac
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 45 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
Having just starting out on modelling I have started to aquire a few tools and paintbrushes etc to get me started but would like some advice on what you guys think are the "Must Have" tools that will make modelling easier.
Santa is bringing me a electric multi tool if im a good boy

Anzac #:-)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
Ok I'll start the ball rolling!
Files
sprue cutter
exacto knife
bandaids....had to throw that in.
small bench vise...just to name a few!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi. From what I've read of some of the horror stories of models, and their related parts getting lost and/or destroyed by unsuspecting 'civilians', probably a really nice, quiet area where you live that you can keep your stuff in a relatively undisturbed state when you aren't working on them would be a high consideration. Also plenty of light, esp. a unit with a built-in lighted magnifier.

And a spares box(s) where you can put all your unused parts and pieces of various kits or anything else you thing might one day come in handy for modeling. I would venture to guess that most modelers are notorious pack-rats, by nature. Goes with the hobby I think.

Take care, sgirty
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hmmmm, tools.....
Tweezers
Exacto knife
sprue cutters
clamps, elastic bands
good paint brushes

And that's just to start. Check around the house for anything that you think may be helpful and it probably will be. It's amazing how many things of my wife's that have gone missing and turned up on my model bench, and I have no idea how they got there. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:17 PM UTC
when talking about tools one almost certainly need to talk about cost. So here I go. Any tool you buy labeled for modelling will likely cost you your modelling. try to find alternitives . for intance the beauty aids dept. in your local drug stor will carry all the foam sanding boards you need for about a buck a piece same thing with tweezers. I get mine at street fairs. Just look around before purchasing. As to important tools I would add

a set of sanding pads
a reasonable set of jewlers files
and if you you'll be doig two part tank barrels a flex-I-file set

daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:03 PM UTC
1.Something to apply glue with (a needle set in an old chopstick & set with 5-min. epoxy works great).
2.Emery boards of different grits (can be cut to different shapes to reach difficult spots).
3.small needle nose pliers (twisting wire, etc.)
4.wire cutters (besides wire, to cut through sprue trees to get at small parts with the sprue cutter)
5.pliers (great for removing stuck paint bottle lids).
6. Razor saw (with different blades)
7. Pin vise
--And do be a good boy--the motor tool is worth it!!!!
--daredevil
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:35 PM UTC
hi since you are in the uk go towoolworths and check out the dremel type rechargeable multi tool it has 60 accessories and all for £14-95 , it comes in its own grey carrying case , i bought mine 8 months a go and would not be without it , great for demmos at shows as i can charge it up and do not need power , it is single speed but you soon get used to it , and it balances like a goodpen feels comfortable straight away , also look in the pound shops they have plastic tubs of multi coloured plastic clips , in two sizes , great as jaws are moveable , i got both sets and use them all the time , cheers ian
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
I did an article entitled Model Maker's Toolbox back when the site first started. It is a decent rundown of some of the basic as well as advanced supplies you may find necessary.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 03:09 AM UTC
Great article Rob. About the only thing I would add is a "self-healing" cutting mat. Esp. handy if you model on a piece of furniture you don't want to destroy...

Shaun

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
If you are just getting started, you will need the basics first. X-acto knife, sprue cutter, emory boards and something to drill with. Spend your money up front on really good paint brushes. After you get a few kits under your belt, you will begin to get a feel for the "specialty tools" you may need.

Patrick
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 06:59 AM UTC
Most of the good basic tools have been mentioned.
sprue cutter you bet!
Sanding sticks
Q-Tips if they have them in the UK
A cheap box of flat tooth picks (multi purpose)
eventually you can dive into the more expensive items like an air brush...foam cutter..miter boxes...band saws.... One thing...in regards to the paint brushes, purchase the best set of red sable brushes you can find. Yes, they are expensive but believe me, you'll see the difference when you use them.

Hope you enjoy your journey into the hobby!

Best wishes
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
A bottle of Johnson Wax's Future floor polish or in the UK its called Klear
(I believe)

Best of luck and welcome,
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 05:32 PM UTC
After many many years of modelling i ve found out that is necessary to have many many brushes. Good , very good, cheap ,very expensive all kinds and sizes because you can do thousands of works with them from applying putty and glue paintin, washing, pastels, dry brushing , so many jobs. So pick a good selection and keep em seperately so you dont make em useless at first use. I ve almost find very handy a pin vise, that for many years i refused to buy or simply didnt care but it very good for many things and ocasions. You should also have this block of mini transparent drawers for keeping small parts and any kind of materials that you want to know every time exactly where it is . There ara thousands other small things but you should find out as the years will go modelling .Enjoy it
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Great Question,
Great answers, fellow modelers. May I add...
1. A great wife. If you don't have one, get one. Can't use your Hobby Lobby coupons here.
2. A source of music for ambiance or to cover up your curses.
3. A certificate from your psychiatrist certifying that you are crazy, so when your guests come over and say, "You must be crazy working with all those small parts!", you can say, "Yeah, buddy, but I've had PROFESSIONALS tell me that!"
4. Young eyes, or an Optivisor.
5. A house decorated in camo, so you have an excuse to keep your models outside the basement.
6. No life.
7. Armorama.com

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
Anzac
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
Well after another overnight stint in hospital ive managed to get back and have a look at all the excellent replies. all have been so helpful so i will give one big thankyou to everybody that took time to have a look. the information will make life so much easier to get what i need together
abd i will tell santa to look in woolworths for that multitool.

once again many many thanks all

Anzac #:-)
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
In the power tools category:

A motoized hand tool is good for heavy duty sanding and grinding if you want to speed up the work, unless you feel like sanding and filing. Dremel is tops in that department.

Of course, if you want a beautifully-done model, an airbrush and compressor is also a good investment.

Needle files

Stock up on sandpaper from 400-2000 grit

Collect a lot of coffee stirring sticks at your nearest Starbucks or coffee shop in your locale.

Have 2 sets of blades, one leaf-shaped (X-acto or a scalpel) and a wider art blade.

A scriber

HTH

Ron
 _GOTOTOP