_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Men vs. Women
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 10:49 AM UTC
I have noticed that most builders are male. I know that some females enjoy the hobby, but the ratio favors men. Does anybody know why this is? I may be able to understand military models. But, the are too many other venues. I am challenging every one to get help a woman/girl become interested in this great past time. I began on my daughter, when she was two. She is very much a daddy's girl. Let's close the gender gap.
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:12 PM UTC
Matt,

My wife enjoys helping me at times, enjoys more of the painting side of things like the details of tools etc on vehicles but I have had her sitting down for a few hours dealing with 20+ tank wheels, benefits me as I can't stand them!

It is a interesting question, in my line of work (warehouse/logistics) women are favoured over men for picking and packing tasks as it is believed that women naturally have a greater eye for detail and are more methodical at following tasks, its not uncommon to find the blokes doing manual labour i.e. Unloading trailers by hand and women picking 100+ orders. So yes i think that not only could women enjoy our hobby but also be very good at it, my only worry is if the rest of the women are like my wife, we will see my mass of pink and purple tanks......

Bronzey
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
I have no problem with a few lighter builds. I've recently given over to painting my builds however I want. This will be made apparent with my build for the "Not Your Average M113" campaign. I'll be going for a brown and tan checkerboard pattern. I think women could teach us a thing or two about how to build and paint models. Women tend to read and follow directions, very well. Not too long ago, someone posted a paint job his wife did. After much badgering, she finally spilled the secret. Artist's inks. These work very well for washes and(so long as you aren't going for accuracy) overall paint jobs. It's this kind of out of the box thinking that we need.
 _GOTOTOP