TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Beneath Hill 60
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
Just watched this Australian movie, on NetFlix. It is about a WWI Australian unit set to mine under a German strong point. And, then blow it. Not so much action, but I thought a very good depiction of the lesser known war. Highly recommended.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC
There's still at least two of those mothers around, they could go off anytime. In fact one did go off after a lightning strike:

http://rense.com/general47/50000lbWW1bomb.htm

It sure scares you living in europe knowing that there is enough unexploded stuff out there to keep the bomb disposal units running for at least another generation.

Paul
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 02:23 PM UTC
I could be wrong but one of the two mines exploded back in 1955 or so - after a lightening strike as you mentioned. One still lies beneath the feet of farmers and hikers. Scary.
Aussietanker
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just watched this Australian movie, on NetFlix. It is about a WWI Australian unit set to mine under a German strong point. And, then blow it. Not so much action, but I thought a very good depiction of the lesser known war. Highly recommended.

I LOVED that movie, I think it is a very good depiction of the Anzac forces on the western front, I love Brendan cowell as captain Woodward. I read up on his history and it turns out that he was bullied as a child