_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
a question to all you model people
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 431 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:47 PM UTC
hey all this is totaly off the purpose of this forum but i always wonder where the h*** you guy put your dioramas, i am 16 and i have already run out of space for mine, i even have to put some under my bed. and i still have cravings to build more of all diffenrt kinds and eras, is it easy to seel dioramas to hobby/model shops?

thnx

cya

matt
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
Well my answer from the non Dio side is I took my Old Ladies {Joan is her name }cabinets away.
Yep I ripped them off but slowly.
Here is how I did it I one day a few years back said Honey {notice sweet word} mind if I put 1 model in the cabinet to keep dust off said says of cause no problem with one in the rest is easy.
Sneaky but effective Yes.
Cause if she reads this I will plead to insanity #:-) #:-) (++) (:-)
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
Matt

What kind of wall space do you have ? Maybe a couple of shelfs may help. Something I did when I was younger was I asked my folks if I could display some of my dios in the living room, called them conversation pieces. As far as hobby shops go I don't know of any that would buy a piece, but I have displayed some of mind at local shops. when all else fails you could give some away. Local Vet groups, Librarys, are just some of the folks who would be interested. Storage space is a problem we all have, the key is to get inventive. Hope I helped.

HarryD
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
i have a fairly large computer desk, a tall book case (books??), smaller nick/nack shelves, and am starting to take over our entertainment center.

I'd recommend you go buy a cheap set of shelves (ie Ikia, or here in the US KMart particle board deals) for 30 - 50 USD. Gives a lot of space for not a whole lot of money.

I've even heard of guys selling thier dioramas to make room for the next one.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
yes space becomes an issue with dios,.
just make room in your basemnt with shevels
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC
instead of doing a bunch of little dioramas you could do super dioramas ala verlinden..... (:-)
newtothegame
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 588 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 06:51 AM UTC
Another idea is to rotate the ones you want to display - change them every month for variety. Then you can store the non-display ones under your bed or in your closet.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:34 AM UTC
If you really donŽt have more space for your dio works, just ask youe parents for more space. Make them understand that your hobbie is a serious matter. Show them this site and try to explain what this hobbie means for you and what it really is.
Maybe youŽll be luckie.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:43 AM UTC
Any display facility aoutside your home/flat? Local hobby shops, museums, etc.?
Ciao
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
You probably wouldn't be able to sell your dio's, but could lend/donate them to the Hobby shops. The other edge is to either create more wall space ala shelving or open up what you have by rearanging. I built wall to wall shelves in a room when I moved into my house. Filled hem all up with books and models. So I had to get creative, rearranged books a bit and started cramming all the small items onto the shelves opening some up for the big stuff. Put your dios in those stackable plastic cases (make sure that'show you build your dios) Radical......stop building dioramas
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
I use an IKEA book shelf. Its the type that you can buy glass doors as an extra. For the price of one tamiya kit, PE and fruils, I say its well worth it. Looks nice, keeps models safe and clean and hold a lot of stuff. I used to make my dios all on a standard frame size and filled up the dio to suit. Now I try to build tighter, more compact dios and try to increase the detail and then buy a frame to suit. Takes longer and is a better finished product.
Of all the places in your bedroom that dust collects in, is undery our bed the worst! This is the last place i would store them. If they get dusty, they may be hard to clean. Id rather buy boxes and build them in the garage or basement!
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:09 PM UTC
And they make great Christmas Gifts....

John
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:52 PM UTC
So i use multiple solutions. The old dioramas that i dont need to have all the time around i pack em and put them in the basement. the frwsh ones that i want around me are on shelves around me in the modelling lab. Some are given to Hobby shops showcases. But i try also to build more tight with slower temp so i avoid errors have time to search and make better products. Space is i think our worst enemy by far
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:59 PM UTC
Mine are on those cheap book shelves you can buy at discount stores...some are in boxes in a storage closet under the stairs....most remain unbuilt in boxes awaiting the day we can have a bigger place...my own building room AND DISPLAY ROOM....with all of my books..my collected artifacts..prints and other military goodies I've latched onto over the years and during my time in service....I plan to have my own little military history museum in there. Admission is free and so is the beer....Oh what a day of liberation that will be.

This part is for Jeff in Oklahoma...I tried that on my wife....you know what she said?....She laughed. That boys, is what you get for being married to an interior designer.

Oh yea, what happened to the Sooners this weekend?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Loaned a couple of mine to the local American Legion post. Everyone seems to appreciate them there. One Desert Storm with a big ol Abrams, the other a small Vietnam dio with some NVA sappers and special forces guys. Might check that out...

Shaun
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 431 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC
hey, thnx giys for advise, i was already planning to put up wall shelves but unfortunatly that will not be the end solution as it still will not be enuoph space in the end, i think i am going to haveto donate some to my local hobby store, but not for few years we all know that being model freaks that giving up your work is hard, so it will be a long long time before i do that, i also have a half finished 1 350 uss enterprise that i need to finish, that possibly will be wanted by hobby shop

thanx all
 _GOTOTOP