Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
A "New"/"Old" 1851 Colt Navy For Me!
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hi All,

I finally got an old project completed today. A few months ago I purchased a second replica of an 1851 Colt Navy revolver from a buddy in one of the firearms forums I belong to for a decent price, a $100.With the firearms market being what it is today, getting anything for that amount of money is actually a pretty fair deal.

When I got it I knew what the condition it was going to be in, sort of rusty and funky, it had been a restoration project for someone who had gotten in over his head and just got put on a shelf in a half completed mode. Desiring something else that he could go out and shoot with his buddies prompted the fire sale price to me. I spent some time with it, removing all the rust carefully, cleaning up the scratches and gouges, reworking the wood grip, polishing the brass and finally today completed the bluing job overall. I had to invest in a largish steel pot that I could just use for the purpose only since once used for hot bluing it can never be used to cook in again as the stuff is toxic.

While I was at it I performed an action job on it to give it that silky smooth trigger pull that comes in at just under 3 pounds on my Trigger Pull Gauge, that hammer comes back nice and smart, cocking the trigger as it should (something that was hit or miss when I first got it).

The one in the upper portion of the picture is my older 1851 Colt Navy replica in .36 Caliber as the originals were. The lower one is the one in .44 Caliber that I just got finished reworking, you can tell the difference in the two of them by the rebated cylinder of the .44 as well as the larger hole in the barrel and cylinder. That was one of the reasons that I wanted this one, the caliber difference. I have a replica 1860 Colt Army replica in .44 Caliber as the originals of that model were, but having a lighter and easier handling Navy model in that caliber was something I have been wanting to get. To purchase a brand new steel framed one such as this would cost me close to $300 brand new. Getting to refinish and bring one back from the junk heap as it were is much more fun to me.

So now I have to go out and spend some time rolling some ball and bullets out of it and it's stable mate to see just how much I like it. Being an old burned out shooter, I cast my own bullets and ball with lead for these things so stuffing 20 to 30 grains of Black FFg Powder down the holes and capping it off to see how good it shoots is going to be even more fun for me to have with it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 11:50 AM UTC
They look very nice. My dad restores and modifies guns as a hobby and part time business.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 03:00 PM UTC
Thanks Matt,

The one that I just finished up started out getting torn down to its' component pieces to clean up as it was pretty rough. This is how far I had to go with the frame to make it right.

Now I have to make up some leather to pack the new one in. I did make up a new holster for my original replica to carry around not too long ago. It came out pretty fair. I used the old Mexican Drop Loop style of holster as well as made up a bullet pouch and cap pouch for it. Another holster in the same style made to fit for the opposite side as well as a belt should make for an interesting combination to wear out to the range for target practice.

olfogey
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 - 04:23 PM UTC
Love the stink of black powder in the morning!!! (LOL)

In my much younger days, I used to take part in "historical reenactments" (fur trade rendezvous), and was a builder of some pretty nice "BP" guns if I do say so myself.
Congrats on some nice work on yours......enjoy them, they are no darn good if you don't shoot 'em.

"Wall-hangers" are dust collectors!!
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the stink of black powder in the morning!!! (LOL)

In my much younger days, I used to take part in "historical reenactments" (fur trade rendezvous), and was a builder of some pretty nice "BP" guns if I do say so myself.
Congrats on some nice work on yours......enjoy them, they are no darn good if you don't shoot 'em.

"Wall-hangers" are dust collectors!!

Hi OF,

Have no fear of my BP and any of the other firearms I own not getting enough attention out at the range or in the desert here abouts. I regularly take them out to practice with. The new .44 1851 Colt Navy is actually as accurate as my older .36 1851 Colt Navy, the only difference being in the size of the holes that it puts in the paper. My 1858 Remington is a little tighter grouping of either of them, I regularly put 6 shots into a group under 2 inches at 25 yards with it shooting .451" 255 grain round nose bullets. Of course, I am still fiddling around with loads for the newer .44 so it might surprise me later as I develop loads for it. I am also trying some of the new Goex Olde Eynsford Premium BP in 1.5 granulation with my revolvers. It seems to put out a bit more velocity with similar grain weights to regular FFFg BP.

Having a few cartridge firing Single Actions in .357 and .45 Colt as well is also interesting to experiment with not to mention the semi auto 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 Auto pistols. I even have one .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk to entertain myself with when I really want to do some long range tinkering.

Casting my own lead bullets, swaging jacketed bullets and on occasion buying up loaded rounds at the local gun shows to add to my cartridge case collections for reloading keeps me pretty happy. As I don't get too happy stuffing magnum loads into my brass, the stuff lasts forever and a day.

grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hello Jay,
Great Work on restoring that weapon.
I own 4 1860 .44 pistols with holsters, 1858,1862 Rifle's with slings and bayonets, 2 Brown Bess Muskets (with tower mark) with scocket bayonets, 2 Kentucky Long Rifles ( 1 original), 1 Musket used during the War of 1812, 1 .44 double barrel Derringer and 4 carrage double barrel shotguns.
All weapons are useable and black power driven.
You have a great collection. Do you shoot any of them?

I use to, but now I use my Springfield 1903 A3 Sniper Rifle, M-1 Grand, M1911 .45 pistols x 2 and my .22 hushpuppy.
Cheers,
Bruce

PS Forgot my LaMat 8 shot with 12 gauge shotgun round under the barrel.