_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best kits to start with for WW2 German tank?
olfogey
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 05:46 PM UTC
I am returning to modeling to relieve boredom and therapy of a sort for my soul ( I am a disabled Vietnam vet ). I am considering armor modeling, but have no idea where or how to start. I have some decent modeling skills, but no armor experience.
I have interest in WW2 German heavy armor........need recommendations please?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 06:16 PM UTC
If you were a beginner, I would recommend you go with Tamiya. As a matter of fact, I recommend it anyway. I'm coming off of a Dragon panzer binge. They produce several German heavy armor. I don't find that they far surpass Tamiya. There may be a one or two mm difference, but I leave that for the rivet counters.
olfogey
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 06:21 PM UTC
Next ( & related ) question......best & cheapest place to buy online? I have been reading up, and a lot of the advice & reviews seem to lean toward Tamiya.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 07:19 PM UTC
I use scalehobbyist, spruebrothers, hobbyeasy and ebay.
olfogey
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 07:34 PM UTC
Thanks!.......appreciate the advice.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
entire network: 2,433 Posts
KitMaker Network: 103 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 10:41 PM UTC
I would recommend Tamiya's Hetzer, either in 1/35 or 1/48, both great kits and easy to build.

Otherwise their "old" 1/35 StuG III Ausf G "frühe Produktion" (ref. 35197) is quite good and eminently buildable.

Cheers,

Christophe
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 01:49 PM UTC
Tamiya. I now buy exclusively from Scalehobbyist.com. Their search engine and Website are the best in the business. Extremely well-organized. Their prices are some of the lowest in the business. Moreover, their service is second to none. I'm warning you; once you visit scalehobbyist, you'll end up with a ton of kits in your stash!
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC
You may want to check out HLJ (hobby link japan) for Tamiya stuff, the prices are reasonable, and the nice thing is there are close to Tamiya so if the item you are after is out of stock the can usually get it quickly. If you want German Heavy Armour, the Tamiya King Tiger, Jadtiger, and Elephant Kits aren’t bad and Tamiya does produces Zimmert sets for these kits (available separately though).

If you decide to go Dragon, Sprure Brothers is your best bet in the states. Nice thing about Spure Brothers is there specials page you can get some very good Dragon kits for a good price.

Regards,
Rod
olfogey
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys
I'm thinking @ this point that I'm going to go with "Tamiya" 1/25 scale (for now, at least), as I'm old, got fat fingers, and bad eyes (LOL)
Did visit "Scale Hobbyist", you're right, it IS an easy place to get lost!!
olfogey
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You may want to check out HLJ (hobby link japan) for Tamiya stuff, the prices are reasonable, and the nice thing is there are close to Tamiya so if the item you are after is out of stock the can usually get it quickly. If you want German Heavy Armour, the Tamiya King Tiger, Jadtiger, and Elephant Kits aren’t bad and Tamiya does produces Zimmert sets for these kits (available separately though).

If you decide to go Dragon, Sprure Brothers is your best bet in the states. Nice thing about Spure Brothers is there specials page you can get some very good Dragon kits for a good price.

Regards,
Rod

Ron:
I did check out "Hobby Link-Japan", but honestly.....was a bit lost. Prices are in "yen", and models (to me) seemed hard to find. Did I miss something in how to use the site??

YEP!! -- Seems I did miss QUITE A BIT (LOL). Went back and had a second (closer) look, and figured things out.
Probably a great source if U.S. suppliers can't or won't get items.
 _GOTOTOP