_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
AFP Wishlist
buck
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:58 AM UTC
Tutal Pasko na rin lang naman... If you were the head of procurement of the AFP and was given a substantial budget to buy arms, what would you buy for the AFP and why?

I know, I know, its not likely to materialize, but baka ibigay naman ni Santa Claus. Here's mine:

1. FA-18Cs and Ds. Great multi-role aircraft. Why not the E/F? Kahit si Santa Claus hindi maibibigay sa AFP yun.

2. UH-60Ls. So we can replace the Hueys. Nakakasawa na tignan eh.

3. Arleigh Burke class destroyers. Very sophisticated. Plus, mura lang yung Panda 1/350, may photo etch pa.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
I would like this Christmas these weaponries:

Aircraft:
AV-8B Harrier (yeah! Quick and easy multirole fighter)
F-14's (total, patapon na to sa US, pinalitan na nila halos lahat ng F-18E/F)
AH-64 (ground support)

Land Weapons

M2A2 Bradley (anti-infantry)
BMP-2 (amphibious anti-infantry)
M1A1 Abrams (no other unit can hit 'em that good)
M163 SPAAG (wash them with bullets!)

Tomahaw Missiles (Yeah! Bomb Mindanao!)
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
I was thinking about these:

a) F-16> They are actually on the modernization list but for some reason they just won't get to us. This thing is dependable, easier-to-maintain, multi-role, & best of all its cheap & its deadly fast too.
b) A-10> Nasty Avenger cannon. Rugged peice of machinery.
c) M60 Blazers> We don't need MBT's, they're too big & heavy. Medium Tanks work best.
d) AK-47, Galil, & other versions> More suitable & 3 times more dependable than M-16's(Sorry GI). Way more cheaper.
e) LANDING VEHICLES> Don't know which model but for such an Archipelago, we NEED these.

I don't know anything about ships so maybe you guys just think about it.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
1) Gripen. I've heard great things about this fighter from Sverige. But, failing that, the F-16C Block 60 (or Block 58?) like what the UAE has (which is the most advanced F-16 to date).

2) A-10. Yes, I agree on this one. I heard that the USAF is seriously considering discarding these "old, ungainly, obsolete" aircraft. If they do, I hope we can get them. They'll be very useful in CAS.

3) Bionix APCs and their new SP howitzer based on the Bionix chassis. Both from Singapore.

4) Ok ok ok, I'm not a big fan of them, but for our terrain, they'll do - Strykers.

5) AAAV - the replacement of the AAVP-7. AFAIK it's still under development. Failing that, more AAVP-7s.

6) Better artillery rounds.

7) C3I systems

8) Secure radios

9) Body armor for the troops

10) ATGMs - ok, so the ASG and MILF doesn't have armor, but they do work against bunkers. Uday and Qusay learned that one first hand somewhere in Iraq.

11) Sh1t-can the AKs (sorry Fritz. ). One: We're producing M16s already. Two: M16s are far more accurate. Better get the M4 or more M16A2s (IIRC, we're producing M16A1s). I like the SA80A1 (note the A1 - or was that A2?) and I heard they're far better than the earlier SA80s first issued to the Brits. The MG derivative of the SA80 was also a superb weapon - AARs from Iraq say the MG version is a definite joy to have. So, bin the M60s. Or, get the Ultimax (?) light MG produced by Singapore. (How light? A young thin woman can fire it and actually hit someone with not much difficulty) Or, alternatively, the old 7.62mm rifle used by the Brits in the Falklands (I forgot the name - L-something something. In fact, troops in Iraq are using it again).

12) MANPADS

13) AEWs

14) Attack helos - Cobra would do.

15) UAVs and UCAVs.

I could go on and on...
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
To continue...

16) Missile armed frigates or corvettes. The Oliver Hazard Perry FFG class is ok, but I'd rather have the Iron Duke (had the good fortune to visit one) FFG of the RN, or the Lafayette FFG of the France (stealthy design - most weaponry inside the hull). For corvettes, Sweden has in service several stealthy corvettes which would be perfect for our geography.

17) Diesel subs with AIP systems. The latest U-boats and SS built by Germany and Sweden are very capable designs and would be perfect for our geography. Japan also has some nice diesel boats. Asking for a nuclear sub is too much I guess hehehe

18) SAMs - and LOTS of them! Make it the S-300 and S-400 Triumf SAMs. Put several batteries at Mindanao (to shoot down the occasional Malaysian MiG-29 hehehe), several at Ilocos Norte, a battery at the Batanes Islands, another battery at the Kalayaan, and several in Corregidor. Then these S-300s and S-400s will be complimented by Arrows and Hawks. Then to further add to the mix, mobile short-range SAMs. Multi-layered airdefense systems - yummy

19) AShMs - Harpoon, Exocet, Sunburn - you name it, I want it!

20) Re-fortify Corregidor. Put a sh1tload of SAMs, AShMs, ADA, jamming devices, etc etc. Turn that fort-turned-tourist-spot back into a fort! Hell, replace the 12-inch guns at Ft. Drum with retracting Harpoon or Exocet missile batteries!

21) Lots of ADA - Goalkeeper, Phalanx, CADS-N-1. Put them in reinforced concrete bunkers with months of ammunition and their own power supply systems.

22) Tunguska Tunguska Tunguska... mobile ADA

23) NVGs for everyone

24) AT-AT hehehehe

25) Death Star

26) Battleship Galactica

27) USS Enterprise, Sovereign Class Federation Starship

28) Gennady's Trebuchet of Doom

29) Beregovoy's Death Ray from The Deep

30) A fleet of recon satelites

31) EH101 Merlin, *H-60s (where * is U, M, S... etc! BlackHawk, Pavehawk, Seahawk...)

32) CH-53E! Man I love that helo! I WANT the 1/48 scale one at JMN! WOW!

33) C17 Globemaster III to replace our old C-130s.

34) The latest C-130 variants

35) AC-130H Spectre - did anyone request for some CAS? hehehehe

36) Radars. Good ones. Put 'em high. Fine, I asked for AEW already, but hey, at least ground based radars don't need refueling nor runways hehehehe. Put one at Mt. Apo. Another at Mt. Makiling. Another at Tagaytay Ridge facing the South China Sea. Another at Mt. Pulog (sp?). Heck, everywhere including my home!

37) Fortify Mt. Arayat. Looking at the map, it dominates the Central Luzon plain. Dig in 155mm artillery in underground bunkers. Octuple ATGM launchers that can retract. Lots of MGs. If anyone ever tries to capture Manila by driving down from Lingayen, they got to get past Fort Arayat first hehehehe

38) Iosefovich's Ballista from Heaven

39) Camote, itlog na pula, at bagoong. The whole populace eats it. Their stomachs churn. They fire off a noxious fart - gas warfare hehehe

40) Death Cloud (as seen in Babylon 5)

Phew! What a list!

Wait a minute, no tanks on the list? Me, an armor lover, have no tanks on my list? WE DON'T NEED ANY STEEEEEENKIN' TANKS! hehehehehehe (sorry Fritz, but when we're talking Philippine defense, I'm of the "Don't Need Tanks Ilk" hehehe - oh yes, we DO need Death Star, AT-ATs, Battleship Galactica, Sovereign class starship, Death Cloud, Trebuchet of Doom, Ballista of Heaven, etc. etc. etc. #:-) )
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
Besides the hardware I wish that somebody would be appointed to head the AFP & would be wise enough to get the modernization going ASAP.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 02:00 PM UTC
Blame both houses of Congress for that one Cardinal.
Fritz
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 02:12 PM UTC
OK fine GI, ditch the AK's go with FAMAS, better right?(M4? I'll choose the M16A2 instead, try reading the reviews about the M4).

Again, OK fine GI, ditch the Blazers go with Bradleys, M113's, Scorpions, Chinese APC's, Russian APC's, every IFV or APC you can dig up. We need those to replace our rusty old stocks.

1)Machine gun> Stick with the M2 for heavy MG's.
> FN MAG/L7A2 for our beloved & waaaaaay underpaid ground troops.
> The SAW gun. hehehe & that SA80 MG derivative you're talking about
(I think its the L86A2) for our fire support teams, hey isn't that also where the
FN MAG's are goin' to? lots a MG's to choose from.

2)Aircraft> Other than the F-16, I think we better go with..........Su-30's, hehehehe, yup its
about time to teach our pilots the "Cobra maneuver". Plus they're cheaper than
American stuff.

3)IBA's> or more PAGST armor. We already have PAGST armor but only to a select few

4)Night Vision goggles> We have I know but they're outdated. The new ones are all with the
SWAT but our army needs those better then they. Hey the army has
always been better then the POLICE.

5)MRE's>Do we have these already?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

M4? I'll choose the M16A2 instead, try reading the reviews about the M4.

Yes I have. And all I've seen are wonderful reviews on the M4. All the AARs that I've read (OIF/OEF) state that the M4 is a better weapon than the M16A2. In fact, they are seriously toying with the idea of replacing the M16A2 because it is cumbersome to use in an IFV like the Bradley because it's too long. Where did you read that the M4 is lousy compared to the M16A2? The M4 is compact and doesn't sacrifice punch.

On armor, I can live with the Scorpions. Bin the Chinese and Russian PCs - difficult exits = death traps. I'll go with the M113 - quite old though, perhaps slap on some module of MEXAS on it?

On MGs, yes keep the M2 (I didn't advocate replacing it) but you don't want our troops to carry one around ala John Rambo hehehe Better mounted - how about putting 4 on an MD550?

On the aircraft, the Su-30 deal of Malaysia isn't still done, i.e. they're still upgrading the avionics etc etc. Eventually, they got a more expensive package than buying the F-16 with all the logistics.

Furthermore, no amount of maneuvering can stop an AIM-120C AMRAAM hehehehe
BTW, have you checked www.acig.org? They have an article arguing that the MiG-29 is still a better dogfighter than the Su-27 and variants. They say that for the Flanker to do all that whiz bang maneuvers you see in airshows, the fuel tanks need to be 10% full - yup that's 90% EMPTY - which is not good.

As for MRE's, we do have these - even at the supermarkets! Nissin's Instant Yakisoba, Seafood Noodles, Lucky Me Instant Sotanghon... hey, these are Meals, Ready to Eat hehehehe
Fritz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where did you read that the M4 is lousy compared to the M16A2? The M4 is compact and doesn't sacrifice punch.

From this site & from a retired U.S. Marine.

Ahhhh! master GI, I sense an arguement coming. We better call on Jeepney then!
#:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:19 PM UTC
Ah, mopenko's (I think that's his screen name in TankNet) site. Yes, but do take note, the info is somewhat dated already. This is, after all, NOT an AAR from RECENT CONFLICTS such as OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM and OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. .

I reckon you state your conclusion on the following from the site?

Quoted Text

While adequate as a Personal Defense Weapon for the non-infantry troops (vehicle crews, clerks, staff officers etc), M4A1 is, by some accounts, less than ideal for the Special Operations troops, at least in its present state. The idea of the complete re-arming of the US Army with the M4 as a money-saving measure, also is somewhat dubious.

Ahehe, I do not think that above quote holds much water. Just because it says "less than ideal for the Special Operations troops" doesn't mean it's junk and is lousy compared to the M16A2. It did, after all say "at least in its present state", but when is that "at least in its present state" said? Who knows, said page was made, oh, before OIF and EIF?
Oh yeah, do take note of the ".ru" end of the URL. Remember, there was a site back then during OIF called iraqwar.ru and it stated that the Coalition was losing "hundreds of tanks" and the "Iraqis were fighting back real hard." Something like Iraq's Information Minister was saying even as Abrams tanks were rumbling through Baghdad hehehe.

Here's a recent news article from a reputable site (BTW, mopenko's site is reputable as well - just that the info you on the M4 page is somewhat dated)

Quoted Text

" M-16 rifles replaced after malfunctions
BAGHDAD -- After nearly 40 years of battlefield service around the globe, the M-16 might be on its way out as the standard Army assault rifle because of flaws highlighted during the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

U.S. officers in Iraq say the M-16A2 -- the latest incarnation of the 5.56 mm firearm -- is quietly being phased out of front-line service because it has proven too bulky for use inside the Humvees and armored vehicles that have emerged as the principal mode of conducting patrols since the end of major fighting May 1.

Instead of the M-16, which also is prone to jamming in Iraq's dusty environment, M-4 carbines are now widely issued to U.S. troops.

The M-4 is essentially a shortened M-16A2, with a clipped barrel, partially retractable stock and a trigger mechanism modified to fire full-auto instead of three-shots bursts. It was first introduced as a personal defense weapon for clerks, drivers and other non-combat troops.

"Then it was adopted by the Special Forces and Rangers, mainly because of its shorter length," said Col. Kurt Fuller, a battalion commander in Iraq and an authority on firearms.

Fuller said studies showed that most of the combat in Iraq has been in urban environments and that 95 percent of all engagements have occurred at ranges shorter than 100 yards, where the M-4, at just over 30 inches long, works best.

Still, experience has shown the carbines also have deficiencies. The cut-down barrel results in lower bullet velocities, decreasing its range. It also tends to rapidly overheat and the firing system, which works under greater pressures created by the gases of detonating ammunition, puts more stress on moving parts, hurting its reliability.

Consequently, the M-4 is an unlikely candidate for the rearming of the U.S. Army. It is now viewed as an interim solution until the introduction of a more advanced design known as the Objective Individual Combat Weapon, or OICW.

There is no date set for the entry into service of the OICW, but officers in Iraq say they expect its arrival sooner than previously expected because of the problems with the M-16 and the M-4.

"Iraq is the final nail in the coffin for the M-16," said a commander who asked not to be identified."

"Iraq is the final nail in the coffin for the M-16." Hmmm...

I'll dig up a few AARs as well when I get back home. 'Puter I'm using now is in school, so my links aren't loaded here. But, for our weeee little debate, here's one I just found (and by an ACTIVE Marine who was in Iraq during OIF):

Quoted Text

Like the seats facing the wrong way on the HMMWV, the M16A2 proved too long and cumbersome for the style of movement at our disposal. Watching the U.S. Army carrying the easily portable carbines gave most of us envy for the ease of movement by those carrying M4 carbines. Additionally, there was also the overwhelming feeling of inadequacy felt by those armed with the dinky little 9mm pistol. A carbine to replace or augment the 9mm was definitely needed by all.

The Infantry Operational Advisory Group (IOAG) killed the M4 program at the recommendation of the Marine Gunners and the battalion that tested the M4. The M4 failed due to an effort to force a specific weapon down our throat. The idea of a short weapon was not the problem. The Marine Corps opted instead to purchase the 40” long M16A4 with all of it’s modularity, but will retain the cumbersome length inherent to the M16A2. Complaints of short sight radius on carbines eliminating long-range fires are overcome with the incoming rifle combat optics. The current bullet won’t perform well in shorter barrels due to velocity decreases, but we can just as easily switch bullets, and may desire to do so regardless since the current bullet is still considered to have inadequate stopping power by many. In the interim, a simple telescoping stock would suffice to shorten some of the length of the M16A4 to a more manageable length.

Source: http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/oif/told%20you%20so.htm

Hmmm.... comments like "the M16A2 proved too long and cumbersome for the style of movement at our disposal", "Watching the U.S. Army carrying the easily portable carbines gave most of us envy for the ease of movement by those carrying M4 carbines" (now THAT is something - A US Marine being envied by the US Army? I thought it was the other way around? hehehe), "The M4 failed due to an effort to force a specific weapon down our throat" (sounds like a bureaucracy problem, not weapon fault), " The idea of a short weapon was not the problem" (hehe, you know, some guys like to brag about their 'gun being longer' than the other guy's 'gun'), and etc. just shows that the M4 was better in more ways than that stated in the page you linked.

BTW, don't take any of my argumentative posts as "bashing" yours. Don't be offended by any of it. Just straightening things out with more updated info.

Oh yeah, I think we're still civil enough, right?

And lastly, our debate is really rendered meaningless because as the quoted news article stated, "the M-4 is essentially a shorted M16A2."

PS

Ok, so I was wrong that the US Army was "seriously considering replacing all M16s with M4s", because the same news article states that the M4 is merely an interim solution before the fielding of the XM-8 (which is merely an "aerodynamic" assault rifle similar to the M-4. Lousy isn't it? I think they actually plan on using it like javelins when the ammo is gone, or put wings so that it'll act like an UCAV. )
flex_cs
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:09 PM UTC
ok tong mga wishlist ha sounds like we're going to war hehehe ang dami!!

but f ur going to ask me eto lng sakin cguro more realistic.... #:-)

1.)F-16s (early block versions lng cguro to)
2.)Bradley (we don't need MBTs sa Mindanao)
3.)more advanced NVGs
4.)Blackhawks(our hueys need REPLACEMENT)
5.)Missile gunboats pwede na basta me missile
6.)Ah-1 Cobra (Abu Sayaff bandits are gonna be deadmeat if ever the AFP gets this)
7.)and if i were the one handling the AFP wishlist sana mawala na lhat ng trapo sa Congress and Senate !
Fritz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 05:52 PM UTC
Well GI, no review can beat a testimony from a retired-2-months-ago-after-20-yrs.-of-service-US marine or an active US Marine(either way they both have used the M4). Plus he was in the expeditionary force so he has already used the gun in different environments.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Here's more on the whishlist

1)Spectre gunships
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well GI, no review can beat a testimony from a retired-2-months-ago-after-20-yrs.-of-service-US marine or an active US Marine(either way they both have used the M4). Plus he was in the expeditionary force so he has already used the gun in different environments.

Uh huh, and the most recent review from a currently active marine has more argumentative force than a past review from a retired marine. So, I give you this:

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

As an answer to your:

Quoted Text

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

:p

BTW, how can you claim that he actually used the M4 when the AAR posted above says that the M16A4 was given as opposed to the M4 because of "bureaucratic ineptitude" unless what you meant by "use" was "used under controlled conditions" like in a "firing range."

:p

Yes, I know, I stepped out-of-bounds AGAIN. Sorry for decimating this thread by my posts. Just wanted to clarify things, not muddle it altogether. Again, my apologies to everyone.
Fritz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 10:48 PM UTC
Wait a minute......your Marine says its better, my Marine says its not-so-good, then I assume that the M4 is an average weapon then! hehehehe....... #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) .

Warning: To other Armorama members, when you start a thread containing stuff like "Weapons recommends" or "Weapons wishlist" or "East meets West weapon fest", be aware! Master GI and I will attack that thread & shake it off its topic! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Warning: To other Armorama members, when you start a thread containing stuff like "Weapons recommends" or "Weapons wishlist" or "East meets West weapon fest", be aware! Master GI and I will attack that thread & shake it off its topic! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)

INDEED!

That's why I like ye, kid. You're a good sport.

Hey, do check my promise in the "Operation Jiminy Cricket" thread! Heheheheh
 _GOTOTOP