_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Decal Help
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 09:50 PM UTC
I recently aquired what I would have to say is the Ultimate A-4 Skyhawk kit. (that is just my opinion of course).
It is a Hasegawa 1/32 Hi grade series kit. with white metal landing gear, rubber wheels, set of PE and rubber tubing for the gear lines.
Ok enough about that. The question is. Seeing this kit came out in 1987 the decals seem to have yellowed, the lettering should be white so the box art shows.
Is there anyway to salvage the lettering to get them to whiten up or am I going to have to paint over the decals. The markings on the sheet are that of the unit at my first duty station and CO. Finding the same sheet is probably near impossible.
Any help or advice that can be given will be much appreciated.
Paul
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:16 PM UTC
I have found that if I place yellowed decals in a picture frame, and place the frame in a sunny south facing window, the sun will bleach out the yellowed white. Just check every few days, depending on how much yellowing there is.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:59 PM UTC
I've also whitened old decals by leaving them in direct sunlight. I've always wondered if putting them under a sunbed would work?
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've also whitened old decals by leaving them in direct sunlight. I've always wondered if putting them under a sunbed would work?

WARLOCK; You need any Ultra Violet light source. Thats what changes the yellowing back to white,
 _GOTOTOP