_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Thinking of buying the Fujifilm XF1-any good?
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC
Is the Fujifilm XF1 a good choice for a fairly clueless photography newbie? I currently own a Canon A510 (ancient, I know) and it's time to upgrade. This will be my only camera, and will mainly be used for taking pics of the family (kids, especially), but will double as my rig for shooting models when needed. It's gotten good reviews online, but before plunking down $300, I want to make sure it's a good choice.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC
The question is what does an entry level DSLR like Canon Eos 1100d cost in comparison? German prices are within 50 € and in that case the Dslr has grow up options while offering the same automatic programs as your old A510 (I upgraded from an A710 recently). Even the bssic lens thst comes can do some nice effects that a compact could not
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks, mmeier. I briefly considered DSLRs, but I honestly think they would be too much camera for me. I know I'll never make photography a serious hobby, frankly, so going that route is probably overkill. In addition, I just checked around and the EOS Rebel T3 (as it's called here in the US) is about $100 more than the cameras I'm considering, coming in around $400 or so, and is much bulkier, so I wouldn't be able to slip it in a pocket to take it out on vacation or when I'm out with the kids, which is one of my key considerations since this will be my all-around camera.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
Okay, difference is a good deal bigger than here in germany. And if "light carry" is the main job a DSLR is a tad on the big side. Basically it is "backpack/beltpack" or "Tourist special" (Sandals, Shorts and knee-length socks optional) as the carry case.

Generally the XF-1 does not sound too bad. Not the biggest pixel count (12MegaPixel) but that is more than enough for the job. 25-100mm Zoom (Relativ to a 35mm) is quite good, Image stabiliser is in there as well. The sensor is on the big side that, combined with the not so high pixel count is good.

Appretur value can be set for depth of fiel, camera can shoot RAW format for further post-processing.

Flash is weak and no contact for an external one so for shooting your models you will likely need extra light. OTOH the same is true for the "Rebel T3/EOS1100D"

This review shows some alternate compacts as well
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC
Thanks, mmeier--I had not seen that review and the list of competing cameras. The Samsung EX2F and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 look very interesting. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 seems like the best all-around, but is way out of my price range at around $600. I'm seriously considering both the Samsung and Panasonic cameras now in addition to the Fujifilm--not sure how I'll make up my mind. Then again, I'm not in a big rush, so I can take my time.
 _GOTOTOP