_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bergepanther
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 11:38 AM UTC
G'day fellow modellers

I note that various modellers have released kits of German AFVs which were only produced in prototype form eg Dicker Max, Maus etc, and even some which were never completed. There is, however, one glaring absence in the kits produced and that is of the Bergepanther.

There were some 347 Bergepanthers produced of all marks (D, A and G), yet, with the exception of a few kits of "topless" Ausf Ds, nobody, with the exception of Italeri (which is getting dated despite recent re-release), has produced a decent version of a Bergepanther Ausf A or Ausf G.

I note in Tony Greenland's book "Panzer Modelling" he includes photos of a master he made for Kirin and intended to be built on the basis of a DML Panther Ausf G, so obviously it's been thought about, and yes, I'm aware of the resin conversions available (I have one of the Verlinden ones), but WHY hasn't a vehicle such as this, with obvious (to me at least) potential for all sorts of situations, been produced by one of the major manufacturers such as Tamiya or DML?

After all, DML has produced kits of every Panther version ever built (and a few which were not), but to date no Bergepanther. They've even produced a kit of a Bergepanther hull mounting a Pz IV turret, for Pete's sake, and IIRC, there was only ONE of those!

I would love to hear what other modellers think.

Regards

Rob
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 01:08 PM UTC
What about ICM ?
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 06:32 PM UTC
Ed

Yes, I know about ICM, but they're all Ausf Ds without the winch if I recall correctly. They're the ones to whom I was referring when I said "topless" ones.

Regards

Rob
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
I have not paid any attention to those or the contents of the kit . I only have one bergenpanzerwagen and it's a panzer IV . On Model armor there is a build log of the Bergen panzer Panter maybe you should check it out . It seems to have all that you ask for . It's under Armor blogs , The broken Tiger .
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi,
I guess it's because it would take a lot of work. Almost all interior visible and a detailed winch and so on. And they must make it perfect to avoid all those negative reviews that will reduce sales and profitability... covering the turret ring with wood or even a Pz IV turret is much easier.
Anyway they will go for it sooner or later. It's one of the few "big ones" missing...
 _GOTOTOP