Discuss general weathering topics here.
Back in the shop after 10 nyears
struman1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 02:52 AM UTC
I have been out of the hobby a few years and I'm just amazed at how much better the hobby is. Not only are there better models but there are better tools. I decided to start building again after reading this forum. I ran out to a hobby shop and the owner showed me a copy of Mig's book and I felt like a kid again. It was the same way when I 1st saw Velindens models years ago. But I tried to pattern Verlindens style without really understanding it. After studying color modulation, weathering and filtering on this site, I have totally changed the way I model. Modelling has become more art than hobby to me. I no longer paint the basecoat just to get to the weathering process. My basecoats have become the layers that is part of the weathering process. My 1st modulated model, before the weathering process, looked much more dramtic and natural than any finished model I had done in the past. This site is awesome. Keep it coming guys
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 01:45 PM UTC
Welcome back, one major difference is the cost but there are sure a heck of lot of items from paints to brushes to models , and some of them are expensive. What do you build sir ?
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 01:07 AM UTC
Welcome back Scott....you're going to have to post some pics too!
golfermd
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Welcome ,Scott. Yeah, the cost has gone up. But the level of detail is so much greater, as well as the number of topics (aircraft, etc.) has gone up as well. Plus, as already mentioned the quality of tools is better too.
 _GOTOTOP