_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya Sheridan
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
Just received what is apparently an older Tamiya release (is motorized) of the Sheridan thru e-bay. Came with a tube of Tamiya glue. Will Testors glue work on this kit? Has anybody got any experience with this kit. The box indicated kit number 31.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
Yes - Testors glue will work fine with this kit. The Eduard photoetch set offers some needed detail - as the old Tamiya kit is soft in this area. It was a motorized toy afterall - nothing like the kits we get today.

I think the Sheridan is one of the subjects in 1:35 scale that screams to be revisted in injection molded plastic. I won't even shake the bushes to comment on the Jaguar Sheridan...

Gunnie
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 06:54 AM UTC
I believe I have built it. Can't remember the kit # - but I did it a few years back.
It's a pretty decent kit, went together with no problems, I used testors glue too.
Some of the add on's leave a little to be desired but overall its ok.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
I built this a few years ago with a donated AEF modern update turret and shield set. Yes, any adhessive you use on plastics will work. All molded on detail looks too heavy. The kit represented is a very early version. Most pictures I've see of these in Vietnam had shields for the commander, similar to the ACAV sets from the M-113. Scale enthusiasts have noted it's closer to 1/32 than 1/35. As is, it's not a bad kit but needs updating. And other than a high priced resin Jaguar, it's the only game in town for this kit.
An option would be to look up the Opfor conversion from the National Training Center where they have been used as vimods for a T-72..
Color schemes could be all OD, probably MERDC, 3 color NATO or Desert Tan from Desert Storm. The 82nd AB tookl some of theirs out there in 1990.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:32 AM UTC
Thank you for the information. Sounds like a good kit for me and my daughter to practice on.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
GOOD LEARNER BATE::
This is one of TAMIYAS kits that screams for a RETOOL. The Hull really needs help, and the Eduard detail set goes a long way. As said before it's either this offering or the Jaguar resin kit, which is about 4x as expensive. SO WE GOTTA do some serious head scratchin on this one, and hope for the best. GOOD LUCK
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
I built one many years ago (actually mine was not original Tamiya, but Academy exact copy of it). I used Eduard PE set, Verlinden resin searchlight and some scratchbuiling. Looks OK, but I would really like to see the new injection molded kit of this classic tank.

Rgds,
Pawel

P.S. I believe this post will make me Armorama Major. Should I celebrate?
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
Vodnik, saw your post on your recently completed M923. I am in awe. I am currently activilty working on this kit and am a little deflated after seeing your wonderful model.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hi Sandbox , (you should respond to my "the story behind your screenname " post in the junk drawer-I would like to know how you came up with that one ) This kit is ok with some work , I am doing a T-72 VISMOD of it for a NTC dio . I coulden't find a conversion kit for the VISMOD so I 'm trying to scratch build it (doom on me ) . This is one of those fixer -uppers that will make you question your sanity #:-) . Best of luck , Toad out .
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
AN EARLY X_MAS,
I just treated myself to a JAGUAR Sheridan Track and Roadwheel set
for $10.97. Not bad for a $13.00 DINOSAUR TAMIYA kit HUH?. Now we can fix the hull,
add the shields, add some photo etch. AND we might just end up w/ a decent looking
AIRBORNE ASSAULT TANK . Todd
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AN EARLY X_MAS,
I just treated myself to a JAGUAR Sheridan Track and Roadwheel set
for $10.97. Not bad for a $13.00 DINOSAUR TAMIYA kit HUH?. Now we can fix the hull,
add the shields, add some photo etch. AND we might just end up w/ a decent looking
AIRBORNE ASSAULT TANK . Todd

Come again on this for $10.00
(++) (:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 04:53 PM UTC
I built the Tamiya kit about 6 months ago. I luckily was able to find the Eduard PE set for it. Did some scratching to change the tube and make a searchlight. I've got pics posted in my gallery if you are interested. I too am wondering why somebody hasn't done a decent injection of this old classic.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AN EARLY X_MAS,

Come again on this for $10.00
(++) (:-)

SGTREEF,
YES TIS TRUE I cannot tell a lie. The Jaguar Track & wheels set was in my local
hobby shop's close out bin. for $10.97 US. This was a no BRAINER purchase........how could I leave it lay there?
 _GOTOTOP