_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
M110A2
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
I have this kit by italeri. I am looking to start it but I am having trouble finding any good resources on it. The kit says to paint it brown (the same brown used int the NATO 3 color scheme) but this doesn't seem correct to me Every picture I have seen has it the full nato green or just an OD color from what I can make out. Could someone let me know at least what a good modern color or color scheme for it is (desert storm or later) or point me to a good site for some additional photos. I saw the the diorama that was recently added to the site and I guess it looks brown, but not as dark as the NATO brown. Anyway, thanks for any help as usual guys.
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 120 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 01:24 PM UTC
Andrew,

The ones in Dutch service (like many of the Nato allies) were painted with RAL 6014, which was overall olive green.

Typical color match probably is FS34087. Testors 1711 could be a good bet in this, or the equivalent acrylic (too lazy to look it up).

Regards,

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:09 PM UTC
I may be wrong, but I believe the M110A2 was out of front line US service by the time Desert Storm happened. When I spent my time in the 8th ID, our equipment that was painted in a 3 color scheme used a much "tanner" brown than the NATO 3 color pattern. When the newer equipment like the HMMWVs, HEMTTs and M981s were near the older deuces and M60A3s, the difference in the browns was really noticeable.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:42 PM UTC
Andrew,

The 8-inchers we had in the 50th DivArty were all painted in the 70' era MERDC four-scheme, much like the image here:
http://www.danbury.org/org/drm/images/96-05-08/88.jpg

We had the 8" in DivArty till 96-97, if I recall correctly.

If you notice it, the tube is not camo in this example. The vehicles I saw were similar in appearance.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 08:20 PM UTC
Andrew,

Here's another photo link where the tube IS camo:
8" Howitzer
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

our equipment that was painted in a 3 color scheme used a much "tanner" brown than the NATO 3 color pattern. When the newer equipment like the HMMWVs, HEMTTs and M981s were near the older deuces and M60A3s, the difference in the browns was really noticeable.

I have seen the same discoloration with Humvees that were part of National Guard units.
There is an MP company down the road from here that has very discolored Humvees, and their trucks are, too.

They probably don't get as much funding to spend it all on paint.

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi There
The British army used M110A2's in Desert Storm. For pics of a preserved example try this link www.armourinfocus.co.uk
HTH
Regards
Peter #:-)
PS can anyone tell me how to change the flag on my posts,i can't seem to find where to do it.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS can anyone tell me how to change the flag on my posts,i can't seem to find where to do it.

Click on "My Account", Then "Change password/Profile"

Scroll down and you'll find "Your Country (for flags) (optional)"
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 08:57 AM UTC
I can't tell you what camo the one I photographed was, only the green was all that was visible and it was badly faded. Since there has been a number of posts lately on the M110/M107 family I've put up a page of detail pics from a M110a2. They cover the pivoting loader and rear spade, Items all vehicles had.

www.homestead.com/shiryon/index.html

and look under vehicle photos
:-)
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since there has been a number of posts lately on the M110/M107 family I've put up a page of detail pics from a M110a2. They cover the pivoting loader and rear spade, Items all vehicles had.

Thanks a ton. Those are some great close up shots. I wanted to give everyone a heads up that you have some other great detail shots on your site also that they should check out. Great job and thanks for the help.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 07:26 PM UTC
Drew, don't forget to check out the M578 VTR shots in my motor pool. They share the same chassis.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hi There
Have a look at this link,
http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/fullmetal/m110/m110art.html
There is a page of pics of the model too.
HTH
Regards
Peter
 _GOTOTOP