_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What to use to thin Humbrol ACRYLIC paint
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 01:38 PM UTC
I hope I am not beating a dead horse on this but, what the heck do you use to thin Humbrol acrylic paint for an airbrush??
I felt like a chemistry major. I tried everything on the ole thinning list. Whatever I used it would clump. I thought my tried and true lacquer thinner but that stuff is immune to it .

I never gave it any thought but I bought the Airfix starter set (Cutty Sark) and thought I would let the young son go at it with the airbrush. I used the little pots of paint that came with it. Did not go well and I will spare you the details. But needlessly to say it was son here is a paint brush - go for it...

Oh I have not tried Humbrol's thinners since you can't find it anywhere and when you do, I would rather save my money for WNW kit

Let me know what you used (other then Humbrol thinners) and most likely I tried it. The number of chemicals are almost matching my stash and the family is wondering if I have a meth lab instead of a modeling room...

Cheers
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 02:12 PM UTC
Everything I can find about this paint is that users have the same complain as you. Maybe you need to get the same brand of thinner as paint .
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 02:36 PM UTC
Humbrol says to thin it with water, two parts paint to one part water. Perhaps distilled water would work best. They also mention Humbrol acrylic thinner.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Humbrol says to thin it with water, two parts paint to one part water. Perhaps distilled water would work best. They also mention Humbrol acrylic thinner.

. Some sites says to use warm deionized water, if that helps. I have never tried using humbrol acrylics and after this post probably never will.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
I did the water (distilled, bottled, Perrier (kidding on the Perrier)) it did not thin well and it still clumped and the spray was splattering and when I did get it the surface was very 'Orange skin' texture. The other side of my question/rant is what to use to clean up. I have a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner I use. Fill it will water. I would then use a 2.oz glass jar and fill it with paint thinner or lacquer thinner and put my airbrush parts in it. Set the timer for 2 or 3 min and voila all clean. This Humbrol acrylic resisted it all. I did alcohol, acetone, ammonia (mixed with water). Tamiya and Testor's thinner without much success. I was just wondering if I missed a chemical out there . I am also searching for a place that sells the actual Humbrol thinners and if they actually have any in stock.

Cheers
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 08:54 AM UTC
Winsor & Newton makes a brush cleaner and restorer , it works on all types of paint. Even dried enamel that takes a bit longer , but tears up acrylic paint . Only thing you have to worry about is it messes up plastic so be carefully . Watch out you don't spill it . And when you are done cleaning the brushes Masters makes a soap that will help preserve the brushes afterwards .
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
Is there an AC Moore or Michaels or any artist supply store near you ? They carry a bunch of acrylic paint supplies from thinner to retarder a and flow enhancers , maybe give that a try. Bring a bottle of humbrol and maybe you ask them to give it a try to see if they are compatible before buying it. Golden is one brand I use , it works with Lifecolor paints. That's a thought , have you tried Lifecolor paint yet ?
 _GOTOTOP