Trouble with decals?
Decal problems
slobuilder
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC
I finally finished building an old Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B and ran into two problems with the kit decals. First the paint finish was glossy but the decals were so sticky they did not allow for any adjustment. To shift them I needed to take them off and reapply them. Second the edges of the decals would curl under and were almost impossible to get flat. So I lost some of the decal outline on a number of the markings. Any advise for next time?

Thanks
Russ
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
To address the curling, try pressing straight down with a fine sponge or soft cloth dipped into freshly boiled water (remember to protect your fingers). This softens the film and ink and "melts" the decal into position. For the sticking problem, how about a small puddle of Future placed where the decal should go? This should allow it to float slightly before you get it in place and press down to hold it. As a bonus, the Future should positively eliminate any silvering which might have crept in.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 12:09 PM UTC
You cold try decal solutions. I think you need the solvent, not the set. I know they help immensely, with getting decals to make inside corners and rounds.
golfermd
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 11:54 PM UTC
I use Micro Set just before applying my decals, let them dry for 24 hours, then apply Micro Sol. The latter allows them to soften and form to uneven surfaces (rivets, joints, etc). I use a paint brush to aplly these.
 _GOTOTOP