_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Sealing your model
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi, when reading articles on how others have made their models a term keeps popping up. Sealing the model . As I understand it it's usually done before painting but after construction. But what is it, why do you do it and how do you do it ??
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
There are 2-3 "sealings" that may take place. (In this order)
The first is a gloss coat to give a smooth finish before decals are applied and before any weathering has been done.
Some people apply one or more gloss coats over the decalled model before any weathering takes place. This will make the decals look more painted on by hiding the carrier film.
After weathering, a final coat of flat is aplied to give a uniform non-gl;ossy finish to the model. Of course, if the prototype had a glossy finish, a gloss or semi gloss finish would be appropriate at this point.
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
If you are referring to the process prior to painting but after construction, that would be priming. Priming serves several purposes:
1) it gives the model a uniform base coat for painting over.
2) it will show any imperfections in the surface i.e. pitholes and blemishes.
3) if you work in multimedia i.e PE it prepares the metal surfaces to accept a paint coat.
You can use any brand of paint and also any color to prime your model. I personally use flat black laquer primer that I apply with an airbrush. I use the flat black simply because in addition to the above mentioned uses of a primer, the black provides an undershadow for the subsequent colors I apply. I hope this helps.

Mike
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:12 PM UTC
If I may add, when sealing a model, be aware of what kind of model you're working on.

Cars: gloss
Aircraft: semi-gloss or flat
Ships and armor: flat
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:36 PM UTC
If you are referring to sealing as protecting the final finish, then a clear coat, be it flat, semi-gloss or gloss is what you use. I use Testors Clear Flat to seal my kits and figures. It does not react with paints, etc. and completely disappears. You could also use Artist Clear Flat, which most art stores will sell. I would test it before applying it to a model, but I think it is the same stuff as the Testors Clear Flat.

As for sealing, if you are sealing a resin or white metal figure or kit prior to painting, etc. then use whatever you have handy, but it should be an enamel or lacquer paint that will bite into the surface and privide a base for your paint to stick to. I also prime all of my vehicles with a light coat to find blemishes, etc. and privide a pre-shading, as mentioned above.
 _GOTOTOP