_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 01:48 PM UTC
HI, I am returning to the hobby after 2 decades away. My youngest son has re-kindled my interest and passion for building and it is something we now share together.

I am amazed at the resources available now that weren't even considered back when I last built a kit. Hopefully this will lead to even better results for me this go around.

I was very active 20+ years ago and won many contests and awards for my work along with having a few on display in various museums. I hope I can recapture that level and rise above it now but with older eyes and shakier hands, this should be interesting.

I currently hold a Federal Firearms license to manufacture firearms and I was a Gunner in an M1A1 in Desert Storm. Looking forward to learning from you guys and helping if I can.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 02:04 PM UTC
Welcome Smoke
Learn from us when you have already built museum quality kits looks like we might be learning from you
Looking forward to seeing you work what scale and era do you build
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 02:15 PM UTC
Those were a long time ago and I never thought they were good enough but I suppose being demanding comes with the hobby a little bit.

After browsing here for a few days and seeing what others have created has blown me away. I am just so very happy to see that the hobby is still very much alive and that we can all now communicate and share ideas and resources with each other.

As for my scale and interests, it would have to be 1/35 and WW2 armor at the top. I do dabble in aircraft and plan on expanding into the conflict that I was involved in and all the way to current world wide armor subjects.

My 11 year old son just completed his first tank, an older Tamiya T34/76 1943 version. Figured I would start him with an easy kit but man did his work far surpass my first efforts at his age.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hello Smokey welcome to the site and network and remember a skill learnt just gets rusty but you never lose it. I could not agree more that tamiya is a good place to start a youngster building.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 461 Posts
KitMaker Network: 103 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hello sir, are you aware how lucky you are to have your 11yo son by your side and actually making the same hobby as yourself?

You have to thank and bless whoever you want that's up there for that.

I can't wait to see your next project here in photos.

take care.

Marc
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC
I am blessed to have my youngest getting the fever for modeling that I once had. He has brought a part of my life back that I sorely missed and having him enjoy it with me, all the better.

As for my 1st project back, I have just started on Dragon's Panther D with Zimmerit. I saw it in the store and had to have it because when I left the hobby, there were no kits available with Zimmerit molded in, it all had to be done by hand. I will post up the photos when finished.

I was also fortunate that I never got rid of any of my old un-built kits (37 in all) or the supplies and spares I had acquired. So there are plenty of projects ahead of me just in that stash alone. Although my son has laid claim to a large portion of them.
 _GOTOTOP