_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tamiya Diorama Texture Paints
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 11:01 AM UTC
Has any one on here tried these before? I am particularly interested in the "Earth" and "Snow" effects. I am looking to try my hand at making my first diorama and was wondering how well these items work.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 05:12 PM UTC
i bought the Tamiya sand...out of curiosity..looks handy when it comes to weathering for desert version. haven't tried it yet.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 10:55 PM UTC
I've tried their Soil and Tarmac/Concrete ones and they are excellent. They dry rock hard though so if you get a bit where you don't want it get some water on it and take it off before it sets. The hardness of the finished product has advantages though- unlike mud etc made with plaster/filler dust the Tamiya stuff won't flake off at the touch of a brush so you can hit it with washes, pigments etc to blend it in and give it more tonal variations. Can't say I've worked with the Snow one though and I wouldn't recommend the Grass one.
Removed by original poster on 09/05/13 - 14:12:46 (GMT).
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've tried their Soil and Tarmac/Concrete ones and they are excellent. They dry rock hard though so if you get a bit where you don't want it get some water on it and take it off before it sets. The hardness of the finished product has advantages though- unlike mud etc made with plaster/filler dust the Tamiya stuff won't flake off at the touch of a brush so you can hit it with washes, pigments etc to blend it in and give it more tonal variations. Can't say I've worked with the Snow one though and I wouldn't recommend the Grass one.

Thank you for the input, Karl. Very informative. Some of their offerings look like useful tools, but I didn't like the look of the "grass effect" either.
 _GOTOTOP