_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Respirators
gkedwards
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hello, I need a respirator for air brushing indoors, and I was hoping for some insight frome you good people. Most of the paints that I shoot are acrylics, and I do have an exhaust fan at my bench that pulls the fumes out thru the window but, when the weather doesn't co-operate the fan can't be used.

Can anyone suggest a lightweight, and small respirator for use at the bench? I'd like something that is compact, and comfortable. I tried those el cheapo dust masks from Wally World but they are useless, my sinuses give me a fit after I spray using them.

Anybody use this one?

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RZ-MASK

Thanks for any help.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC
While not as cool looking, I have one made by 3M that I picked up at Home Depot. It's heavier and more bulky that the one posted, but if I'm spraying something nasty, it works.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC
I agree with Jesse. No need to spend more money on something that looks better, if cheap will perform just as well. You should also wear one, when you are doing heavy sanding.
gkedwards
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the help, and I know that every man has to do what he has to do to keep himself safe. I'm going to check out Home Depot and some other suppliers to see what will be the best for me.

I can assure all of you, that before I shoot another drop of paint, OR clear coat, I will have a respirator wrapped around my face. I just got back from the Dr's. office today, and I have got myself a brand new KILLER sinus infection, thanks to sanding, painting, weathering, and rusting an old model truck using those cheap WalMart dust masks.

I am much too old to have made this stupid mistake, I'll never do that again.

Lesson learned!...Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP