_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Question about Washes..
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC
In alot of these articles, the authors mention using 'Future' to give the model a gloss coat prior to washing... Who makes it and where can I buy it?
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC
It's made by S.C. Johnson, and can be found at Walmart, Target, and some hardware stores. I got mine from a local hardware store that also sells cleaning supplies.

Mark
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
What is it intended to be used for?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is it intended to be used for?

Floor polish
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
Is this floor polish much better than the clear gloss lacquer you can get at model stores?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:22 AM UTC
...cheaper.
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to pick some up on my next trip into town.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 12:04 PM UTC
i used to see it in grocery stores all the time
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 08:53 PM UTC
Here's a stupid question for ya. From a ........friend..... of..... mine.....
Do you use an airbrush to do a wash or a handbrush? My..er.....friend could really use some help!

YodaMan
Know what I'm doing, I do
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
Before your go hog-wild buying Future for gloss, allow me to get on the soap box.....

I've been slapping plastic together for thirty years. I used to use Future for a while when doing aircraft. The reasoning was this: Some fellows claimed that the Testors Glosscote/Dullcote products would turn yellow over time (decades) and ruin the model. I stopped using Future when in the course of washing decal setting solution off a model, the Future began to dissolve and leave streak of white on the model. Bad Ju-Ju for a Dark Sea Gray Sea Venom, don'tchaknow. A friend of mine who has been modeling again lately freaked out when the same thing happened to his Tamiya Mosquito. I went back to the Testor's laquers after my experience, and he has too. And now I have models on the shelf nearly fifteen years old that look the same color as when they are finished. Go ahead and get some if cost is really a factor, but beware...
Greg
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Before your go hog-wild buying Future for gloss, allow me to get on the soap box.....

I've been slapping plastic together for thirty years. I used to use Future for a while when doing aircraft. The reasoning was this: Some fellows claimed that the Testors Glosscote/Dullcote products would turn yellow over time (decades) and ruin the model. I stopped using Future when in the course of washing decal setting solution off a model, the Future began to dissolve and leave streak of white on the model. Bad Ju-Ju for a Dark Sea Gray Sea Venom, don'tchaknow. A friend of mine who has been modeling again lately freaked out when the same thing happened to his Tamiya Mosquito. I went back to the Testor's laquers after my experience, and he has too. And now I have models on the shelf nearly fifteen years old that look the same color as when they are finished. Go ahead and get some if cost is really a factor, but beware...
Greg

thanks for the info greg,if testers turns yellow what other choices do we have?
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
I don't even use decal setting solution... #:-)

I guess I'll stick with the Future.
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
I never use decal setting solution either so that has never happened to me. Sorry it had to happen to you.

Mark
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:11 AM UTC
I never used decal setting solution before my last couple of models, but I've been very pleased with the results since using it. The decal seems to snuggle against the model and looks much better, especially with those thick Tamiya decals.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i used to see it in grocery stores all the time

Yes, you can find it in just about any Stop & Shop, Shaw's
or any other supermarket..
sourkraut, I have a nice 9.SS/19.Panzergrenadier Regiment/2nd Battalion,5.kompanie banner that a re-enactor group uses - would you want a copy ?
I thought you'd be interested, since seeing your dedication at
the end of your messages.

- ralph
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC
ok, I understand that some of you have had problems with future turning white. I have too....BUT it was because I didn't let the future cure for more than "Ok its dry to the touch, must be good" amount of time. Whether that was the problem with any of you guys or not I dont know. I did find that once all my decals had dried and I shot a flat coat over it (Testor Dullcat) that milky appearance disappeared completely. Where I found air bubbles or silvering, I pricked the decal, applied Solvaset, let it snuggle down and then shot another coat over the decal once more ust to be sure. Future is a great product for what we use it for in this hobby. Lots of bang for the buck if you get me. It can be airbrushed straight from the bottle with no thinning, canopies dunked for a nice crystal clear look, brushed on 1/72 canopies with the same effect, used to attach small clear parts or to represent glass on instument panels...etc etc etc.. there are tons of uses for it. For the money you cant beat it....IMHO #:-) "Q"
 _GOTOTOP