_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Building Scouting Merit Badge
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 08:08 PM UTC
I have created a proposal for a new merit to add to now increasing list of Boy Scout merit badges. And, as you guessed it, it's a model building merit badge.

I'd like to know what your opinions are of this.

Currently, the requirements for this 'proposed' badge go as follows:

1. Name some different materials that model pieces are made from.
 Name different paint types.

2. List different paint applicators.
 -Pros/cons of using each.
 -For airbrushes:
=List tools necessary for airbrush operation.
=Find instructions online for airbrush operation, read them, then explain in your own words how to properly use an airbrush.
=Explain safety measure for painting/airbrushing/etc.
=Describe the difference between airbrush and non-airbrush paints.

3. Show you know proper knife and other handtool handling.
 -Explain what to do should you injure yourself.

4. Explain how hobby cement works.
 -Understand the dangers of hobby cement and how to circumvent these dangers.

5. Understand the scaling system.

6. Visit a local hobby store or website (with parent’s permission) and research about model building and starting out in the hobby:
 -Write a short summary (no less than 3 sentences; no more than 8 ) of what you learned from your research
 -Write a list of 5 different manufacturers. [debating whether or not to remove this requirement]

7. Visit a hobby website (with parent’s permission) and create a “shopping cart” of 1 model kit and supplies you think you would need to build this kit but do NOT buy these items unless you want to and ONLY with a parents supervision AND permission
 -Print this “cart” and write a short explanation of why you chose the products you had chosen.
 -Show the “cart” and explanation to your counselor.

8. Build a model kit under supervision of a parent or counselor (you may get your choice of what to build. If you choose to build a kit of your own choosing, the kit MUST require painting of some parts or sub-assemblies and CAN NOT be an “easy-build” or “snap-tight” kit. Otherwise a kit will be supplied to you.)
 -Document the progression of your build with pictures and, if you want to, short summaries of work days.
 -Compile a list off all materials used to build your kit. This includes paints, glues, tools, etc.
 -At the end of the build write a summary of how you feel the build went, your opinions of the kit, what you feel you could have done better, and you would do next time.
 -Present the finished kit to your counselor with your summary and materials list.
(Scout may take his finished model home with him)

What do you guys think? Like, dislike? Suggestions? Revisions? Any comments?
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 09:10 PM UTC
Mike I think this is a great idea. You have included a lot of tasks for this badge. If I could make one suggestion it would be to break up the requirements into 2 or maybe 3 different levels. With each being a stepping stone to the final badge. That way the scout could take it as far as they wanted. If they start out and find that modeling is not for them, at least with the different levels, they would be able to finish a level, and get a badge, instead of quitting all together and getting nothing. Jeff Tucker

P.S. Lets see some pictures of your builds, Buddy
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 11:07 PM UTC
Makes me remember my "scout" days. I think that is one of the best badges I've heard of. I'm sure they will enjoy it, if you catch them at a young age. You know, before they start noticing girls. I agree with Jeff. You should create different levels of completion.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 04:07 AM UTC
There is (or was) already a modeling merit badge. Required the scout to draw up their own plans and construct a model kit from scratch. I remember making a drawing on paper and glueing the balsa wood to the surface in an attempt to make an ultralight airplane. It flew like a brick but got me my badge.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 04:19 AM UTC
Great idea, but I don't think item #7 is really appropriate, as it really does not have anything to do with the hobby itself.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike I think this is a great idea. You have included a lot of tasks for this badge. If I could make one suggestion it would be to break up the requirements into 2 or maybe 3 different levels. With each being a stepping stone to the final badge. That way the scout could take it as far as they wanted. If they start out and find that modeling is not for them, at least with the different levels, they would be able to finish a level, and get a badge, instead of quitting all together and getting nothing. Jeff Tucker

P.S. Lets see some pictures of your builds, Buddy

I'm not quite sure I catch your drift... Break up which requirement(s) into different levels? Also, by "levels" do you level as in something similar to difficulty?

Also I'd show some of my "nicer" builds but my camera's broken... right at the time when I finally got a Dragon M1A1 AIM and was planning on doing a build log... and a "Need Help/build log"

Quoted Text

Makes me remember my "scout" days. I think that is one of the best badges I've heard of. I'm sure they will enjoy it, if you catch them at a young age. You know, before they start noticing girls. I agree with Jeff. You should create different levels of completion.

And yes, I figured this more for Cub Scouts and younger Boy Scouts. But hey, you can get into the hobby at any age. So might as well try.

Quoted Text

There is (or was) already a modeling merit badge. Required the scout to draw up their own plans and construct a model kit from scratch. I remember making a drawing on paper and glueing the balsa wood to the surface in an attempt to make an ultralight airplane. It flew like a brick but got me my badge.

There is a model building merit already, but not the type such as this. That badge is more focused on mechanical, structural, industrial, process, and architectural models. Models that are used on job sites. Not the hobby kind-of model building.

Quoted Text

Great idea, but I don't think item #7 is really appropriate, as it really does not have anything to do with the hobby itself.

skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 703 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 01:25 AM UTC
Michael, I think this is a great idea. Because who is going to keep this hobby going if you don't have kids when we pass. Kids nowadays only want to play on computers etc. Also I think #7 should stay not trying to make you (Kevin) upset but when most of us pick a kit to build it is either for something we served on or saw in our military service or saw watching the history or military channel. So I think if they had to do a little research and explain why they did that kit then they come out with 3 thinks achieved. They learn a little history, they sparked maybe the want to build more and better, and get their badge.
 _GOTOTOP