Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Overcoming Builder's Block
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC
I'm slowing burning out, on military models. But, I have found a solution. I'll clear off my shelf queens, then for something completely different. I'm going over to sci-fi, for a while. That's right, Game's Workshop kits. I believe this will help me advance my figure skills and offer a little nostalgia.
PetrolGator
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 12:59 AM UTC
I run into this problem, especially near the end of a build when I get tired of adding endless amounts of detail.

I just walk away. I spend a few days away from the bench reading, or perhaps another 20 minutes in the gym. I'll take the dog for longer walks, or spend more time with the wife.

Modeling is a recreational habit. If I'm burning out, it means I'm treating it more like a job.

JMO, of course.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 09:51 AM UTC
Tried that. I'm just burning out on armor. I used to build and paint the GW miniatures and enjoyed it thoroughly. Now that I have an airbrush, more experience and a larger selection of paint I think they will be better 100 fold.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hey Chris, i`m glad i`m not the only one who gets like this,i`m currently STILL fighting my way through five Abrams kits.It feels like no matter how much time i throw at them i`m still no closer to finishing.
I can`t see how some modellers can have "shelf queens" it`d bug me to death to look at them (maybe i`m a little OCD !)but once i`ve started a kit i`ve got to finish before i start something else.A standing joke at that the modelling club i used to go to was it`s not how many you`ve started but how many you`ve finished !.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 11:15 AM UTC
Matt I always find that if I have a block I change subject type hence having aircraft, armour, ships, sci-fi and figures/busts in the stash. The old saying, 'a change is as good as a rest' is true.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
I'm taking a "swing" at aircraft. Somebody wants me to build a 32 Spit. I also want to built a 32 Flanker. And, I just ordered Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator.