_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from PA
crickbob
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hello everyone!

I'm getting back into to hobby after not building a kit in 50 years. 62yo now Was in the US Naval Air Reserve in the early 70's. Looking back, I enjoyed that time and I wish that I would have been a career Navy person but when you're young and there's a war (Vietnam) going on you don't think of those things. Family had no money to send me to college, grades weren't up to snuff for any kind of scholarship, and my dad (Served on the Burma Road in WW2) recommended US Naval Air Reserve. Signed up at NAS Glenview in Illinois. Trained as an ASW operator in P2V Neptunes.

As others have said, wow have things changed in the model building hobby! Not only the fact that it was just tube glue and enamel paints for me as a kid, I don't recall aftermarket enhancements as they are produced now.

My memory is vague, but I recall building a Revell (I think) Polaris submarine where the side flipped down to reveal the inside and you could actually launch a small missile from one of the tubes. I wish I still had it, I remember spending a lot of time building that. If anyone has knowledge of such a kit, model number, or whatever I'd love to hear about it. If available somewhere I may just get one for nostalgia purposes.

My current interests in modeling include anything military (except figures... not sure my hands are steady enough for those), and I have a real interest in the war in the pacific. Been watching a bunch of very interesting shows on the military channel regarding the pacific conflict and looking to find some good books I've become kinda hooked on the history.

I think the first ship I'm going to tackle is the Tamiya 1:350 DD445 Fletcher (kit #78012). It was recommended by a gentleman on another forum as a good jumping off place. I have the kit but now need to clear out a space in a little room that I have that has a drop down desk to work on, get tools, glue, etc. etc. It may be a little till I get started since there is a lot of work to do to get that room cleared and set up. I have a bit of a disability with chronic migraines and pain (fibromyalgia).

Besides the Polaris Sub question, another question I have question for the group is in regard to purchasing sealed model ship kits. I recently purchased a Tamiya (kit # 78018) 1:350 USS Battleship Missouri BB-63 and although I know it'll be awhile since I'll have the talents to build it up it was a fair deal and I wanted to have the Mighty Mo in my collection.

My question is this. The model is sealed, in perfect box shape. I'd rather *not* break the seal at this time but simply keep it in my stash. Is Tamiya a good company with regards to any parts that might be either missing or damaged in the box? I don't know why I'm so anal about such things but I remember as a kid having a Revell kit that had a damaged part and it was like pulling teeth to get the part replaced. Luckily then I did. How are companies these days regarding this? I realize that with super old kits they may not have the parts but I don't believe this one is that old (2005?).

Thanks very much and I look forward to hopefully contributing at some point in the future. Sorry this intro has been so long but I figure if I'm going to be active in a community like this maybe someone cares to read my story and answer my questions.

Regards! - Bob
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi, Bob. Welcome to Kitmaker forums. If you haven't done any modelling in the past 50 yrs, this is a great place to be.

In answer to your question relating to manufacturer customer service. In the first place, Tamiya is among the best as far as quality product and completeness of packageing. I've never had any problems with damaged or missing parts in a Tamiya box.
Also, modern day manufacterers are usually eager to assist if there are issues with their product. I've had parts replacement experience with MiniCraft and Williams Bros., and both were quick to please and free replacement.

The game is far different today than it was 50 yrs ago.
Again, Welcome!!
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Bob,
Welcome.

milvehfan
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hey Bob

A big welcome to the forums from a fellow PA Model builder...

Delbert
hutch2336
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 06:44 PM UTC
Hi

Welcome from West Yorkshire, UK

Regards

Steve H
Wolfe