Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
So my Mom bought this helmet at a garage sale
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
entire network: 306 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 04:38 PM UTC
My Mom bought this at a garage sale last week. I don't know anything about military memorabilia but I'll tell you what I know about it. It's heavy & seems to be authentic but the paint seems quite new as if someone at some time had repainted it. The Nazi emblem seems to be sticker or something but I can't tell for sure. It says "hoffmann" inside of it.

What do we have here? Any idea of the value?

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus

gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 441 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My Mom bought this at a garage sale last week. I don't know anything about military memorabilia but I'll tell you what I know about it. It's heavy & seems to be authentic but the paint seems quite new as if someone at some time had repainted it. The Nazi emblem seems to be sticker or something but I can't tell for sure. It says "hoffmann" inside of it.

What do we have here? Any idea of the value?

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus

Randy

The helmet looks as though it is a German WW2 type but the national shield has beeen painted on by hand and the eagle is a modern day dry transfer. The helmet looks as if it has been re painted as well.

The chin strap looks genuine but I am not sure about the metal frame for the helmet liner?

I think somone had the shell with the straps and tried to tart it up a bit by re painting and adding the national shields.

Not a very good job.

IMO not worth much.

Sorry.

Gerry
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
entire network: 306 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:12 PM UTC
She paid only $5 for it so I don't think she will be too disappointed. : )
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 441 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

She paid only $5 for it so I don't think she will be too disappointed. : )

Randy

Not bad for $5

Cheers

Gerry
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 02:28 AM UTC
I will give you ten dollars plus S&H for it
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 12:53 PM UTC
Might be worth more than you think,looks to be a M35,it still has the vent hole as a seperate piece and not pressed in as the 40 and up,you can tell it fell out on the other side.There's lots of places will buy it and give you a fair buck.Or if you want to keep it,you can buy the spare parts for them.liners,decals ,chin straps etc.
Lots of south american countries used the stahlhelm up to quite recently...German fire brigades still use a modified version

http://www.germanhelmet.com/abouthelmet.html
Volksjager
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
Only just saw this post. Being that I collect and sell militaria I will give as much info as I can.

The Helmet is a German M35, which you can tell from the separate air vents (and one is missing). It looks like it was a relic, rusted shell before someone tried to restore it with a new paint job, decals etc. The paint over the pitted rust is the give away on this example. The liner band and pins look to be reproduction, the chinstrap is the wrong one for the helmet and is not genuine plus the decals look like the typical old water slide versions.

There is not much left here that is original other than the shell but for $5 you did well and would serve to be a great candidate for a proper restoration job.

If you want any more info please let me know

Jason
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 979 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
Great display helmet, the current restoration job looks acceptable too.

I would have bought it for $5
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 01:41 AM UTC
To restore it, I would recommend an angle grinder with a flapper disc. It shouldn't damage the helmet, just remove .010mm of the surface.