_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Search
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
When I search for something, on Kitmaker, it gives me a slew of Google search results. The Kitmaker results are to "subscribe" to a topic, not a direct link? Am I doing something wrong or is this the new search function?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 12:32 AM UTC
I don't know Matt.
I just did a search of your name on the kitmaker search, and it came up with a list of the forums you posted in, clicking on that brought me right to the thread you posted in.

Tried it on IE and Opera.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 12:58 AM UTC
I'm using google chrome. I haven't tried searching, for a person.
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 977 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 01:19 AM UTC
It happened to me when there were no adequate matches for the words I searched.

Kind regards
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
The absence of a good in-house search function is the only drawback to this site.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC
I am not really sure what you mean regarding the 'subscribe to topic' part, but what I have noted using Google's site specific search lately is that only the first search you do above is going to list pages only from the site you were on. Doing another search on that page then opens it up to all pages on the net. This is new behavior I believe.

What keywords are you searching? I have always found that Google does a pretty good job finding subjects, etc. If you guys think I can write (or even the folks at any of the top forum software firms out there) better search algorithm systems/code than Google... well you are mistaken.

Cheers,
Jim
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
maybe you think so, but many, many forums have a native search component, whereby I can can search by user, topic and other site specifics, and so on,without finding myself in east bumstead or worse.

searching this forum is dammed annoying, an you will forgive me, sir. for your information.
Even "my own posts" is abreviated and unreliable.
sorry again, sir, to report negative results, sir.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not really sure what you mean regarding the 'subscribe to topic' part, but what I have noted using Google's site specific search lately is that only the first search you do above is going to list pages only from the site you were on. Doing another search on that page then opens it up to all pages on the net. This is new behavior I believe.

What keywords are you searching? I have always found that Google does a pretty good job finding subjects, etc. If you guys think I can write (or even the folks at any of the top forum software firms out there) better search algorithm systems/code than Google... well you are mistaken.

Cheers,
Jim

I searched for other key words, after the initial search(while the first results were posted). From what you have said, this may be the cause.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

maybe you think so, but many, many forums have a native search component, whereby I can can search by user, topic and other site specifics, and so on,without finding myself in east bumstead or worse.

searching this forum is dammed annoying, an you will forgive me, sir. for your information.

Indeed this forum has that as well. It's just not that easy to find (by intention). You have to understand a lot about database overhead to really get into this conversation from a technical standpoint, but suffice to say that with as large as our database is, allowing easy access to do real-time searches ad infinitum is not a good thing. It's just too database intensive. That is why Google and other search engines use search caching and 'indexes' to speed up searching and even allow them to do what they do (so well).

I can appreciate your frustration though and am not trying to say the Google search works perfectly. It's just the best we can offer at this time.

Thanks,
Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no problem finding posts, if I know the thread title. It is more of a broad search, than for something like a single thread. I do have a problem with what order they appear to be listed in.
I also understand that having a "real time" search would cause possible crashes.
I do have some experience creating a digital database. The amount of information, for this site would be daunting.
 _GOTOTOP