_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Review Italeri 20' Military Container No6516
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 07:32 AM UTC
Just a quick review of Italeris new 20' Military Container No6516.

The kit just came out and is something I had been wishing for for some time. There are resin containers but they cost a bit more then the €15,- I paid for the Italeri ones.

The kit contains 22 grey styrene parts. The casting is good and the punch marks are located on the inside of the model. This does mean that if you want to display the container with the doors open you will have to fill them.

The sides walls are single pieces were as the roof,floor and back wall are made up of two separate parts that have to be glued together. The parts fit good so a minimum of filler is required to get rid of the seam.

The locking handles are can only be installed in one way so if you want to have them in the open position you will have to cut and relocate them but that won't be to much of a task.

Only downside is that the decal options are limited to the military versions. But with a bit of creative cutting and mixing up of the decals commercial versions should be able to be made. Plus I don't think it will be long before the after market company's will come out with decals for that.

Can be modelled open or closed

Sides and rear

roof and bottom

Locking handles

Interior of the container

[

Door close up inside and outside

Decals

All in all this is a great little kit that has a whole lot of potential for placement on a diorama or as a heavily weathered model on its own.
9 out of 10
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 07:08 AM UTC
Nice review, janwillem!

Bought the same kit immediately after its release for around €15 on eBay. I've been looking for a container kit to decorate my office desk since I've got a degree in Shipping & Logistics.

Have you come across any other suitable decals anywhere?
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC
Sadly no. But give it some time and I am sure that there will be more than enough. Only problem is that we now need to wait or make your own.

Cheers,

JW
Okpik031
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC
I have bought HO scale containers and decals to go with them also graffiti and the likes. So I am sure if you check out model railroad places you can find markings that could be enlarged to do the job in 1/35. There are all sorts of examples out there for the Sea Can. There are all sorts of heavy weld beads smoothed over where they are put together and they can be built into offices or housing units also. The construction camp in my town is made out of 20ft sea cans.
Okpik031
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:20 PM UTC
The door bars on the kit do not look like they are put on right. I will try and get a picture of the locking bars on my container and then upload them for you to see what I mean but it looks like the bars got mixed up before being put on. They lock going in the same direction and that is towards the hinges and the handles are on the same level unless I have a different model of container. I will do my best to get pics up for you guys to see for yourself.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 04:28 PM UTC
Just checked yahoo images and there are containers with this style of door latch . Lots of paint schemes to choose from . Finally get a chance to use that bright blue paint I picked up by mistake
Okpik031
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC
I went around the village looking at the variety of containers here and did find about 3 handle configs, I did take pictures of them and will get them uploaded as soon as I can. So yes the handles are not necessarily wrong as I first thought but to alter them to represent different container styles should be easy. I will upload the pics that we took over the next few days.
 _GOTOTOP