_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Eastern Model Makers
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 09:43 AM UTC
Has anybody had any experience with some of the Russian model companies? I am trying to put together a small ambush dio that will need to incorporate a Russian armored car, or light tank (ie BT series). From my research, it looks like Eastern Express, Zvesda or Vision (not sure if they are Russian or not) have the most options in my price range. I was wondering if anybody on this site might have some experience or advice relating to these companies that they could share with me.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
Eastern Express and Zvezda are long established firms from the Soviet area. Both had many useful items, but many of these have been surpassed in the last 5-10 years by better items from newer companies. Details were rough and very little finesse. Zvezda has more or less re-invented itself and has released many new fine kits recently, but I havent heard any similar stories regarding EE. MiniArt and MasterBox have probably stolen much of their thunder. Vision Models is from the far east somewhere, as far as I know, and is relatvely new.
If price range is you main interest, fine models can be made with some care and attention from these older kits ... that what most of us had to deal with. If you want something a little nicer, better engineered and probably simpler, you would be better looking elsewhere.
Your best option would be to specify what kits you are looking for and youŽll get a more specific answer. The answer above is general at best.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
I have recently places an order with Soga Miniatures for some resin tracks for my WW1 Mk.IV, they have not arrived as of yet, but the pricing was very good.

Kevin
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice Frank. It's not that I am cheap per se, it is just that this will be my first attempt at a dio and I didn't want to go over board with the costs. I was thinking of depicting a group of landsers approaching a BA-64 armored car or perhaps a BT series tank parked behind a building. Eastern Express seems to have the most options available for those vehicle types, but I've never tried one of their kits.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi Rick
For the BA-64, check out MiniArt (kits 35097 and 35110). Im sure if you checked out Ebay, you could find these closer to home at a decent price and probably a cheaper postal cost. Both sets have pretty nice figures included. ZvezdaŽs BT7 probably can be found there as well.
Your first dio should be kept as simple as possible; a vehicle, a figure or two and some groundwork/building corner. Keep it small and focus more on the details. The biggest mistake made when starting out in dios is taking on too much and making hem too big. Interest wanes and quality suffers. If you got one of the MiniArt kits and invested in some static grass and a few small "throw about" items to populate the area, it will give you a much better idea of what to expect when you get going. WARNING!!!! Dio making is addictive
 _GOTOTOP