_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Moving a built model.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 527 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hi everybody
anyone have instructions to make a transport box for built models,the type you carry to shows/club meets??
I have seen modellers using old record boxes.i picked up an old 45s box just need ideas to build the inside,do I use packing foam,clamps or polystyrene????.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC
I have seen a lot of different ways to to it but the ones that work well are usually a large enough box (but not too large) and glue in (or sticky-tape, etc) foam pieces to restrict movement. Cap that off with a box lid that is high enough to avoid hitting the model and you should be good for car, truck travel. Or if you are a dare-devil you could try it sans lid.

Cheers,
Jim
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
the best way for me is to have nothing touch the model, not even styrofoam. Pieces of PE will fall off eventually. I secured the model to the bottom of the box with a screw or pin. This means you need to drill a hole in the bottom of your model, which is okay I guess for tanks, with a Jeep it will be a problem. This way all forces that act on the model will be directed via this small hole to this pin, and not through your precious PE or coat of pigments.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:24 AM UTC
FYI: By foam I actually mean that black stuff and not styro-foam. I think that is pretty safe for areas on a model where nothing can get knocked off, etc.
 _GOTOTOP