_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Resistance Soldering
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:10 PM UTC
Soldering brass is a real weak spot for me. I can't seem to achieve a middle course -- it's either cold solder joints or solder, solder everywhere...

Resistance soldering units are popular with model train enthusiasts, but they're expensive to buy and tricky to build. They seem ideal for a lot of scratch-build military modeling; after all, trains and tanks differ more in function than in form*! Unfortunately, I am completely disconnected from the model railroad world. Anyone here ever used one?

-Neil

*Coincidently, my Dad was a tank commander for a while and my grandfather worked for the railroad.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 04:13 AM UTC
here are a couple of sites for you to look at

http://www.cox-internet.com/drspiff/electronics/resistance.htm

http://members.aol.com/deansiding/rsstext.htm

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book4/12m.htm
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 06:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the research info. I'll probably be taking the plunge sometime around the end of the summer. "America Beauty" seems to be one of the favored brands in resistance soldering. They're not cheap, but their line is carried by both hobby outlets and professional metal-working suppliers.

-Neil
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC
I believe what method you use will depend on how much soldering you plan to do. The resistance soldering system may cost more than you need. There was another thread concerning soldering techniques over the last couple days, if you don't plan to do much soldering. If you plan to do a lot of soldering the resistance system may work for you. Just a thought.
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 12:14 PM UTC
Also, a lot of this depends on the kind of solder you use.

I have no clue what the name is in English but my dad and I used to do model railroading and we used this solder that had some stuff in it that comes out of pine trees, so the solder would flow better or something like that.

Heating the area to be soldered is the best, the solder should flow easily that way.
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2002 - 09:29 PM UTC
Ranger74 wrote: ...on how much soldering you plan to do...

That's one of the reasons I'm taking so long to decide -- if I do take the plunge I want to invest in a quality system. I addition to modeling, I like to do miniature brass machining and I'm thinking of trying jewelry-making. I want to make sure my interests are really going in that direction and that my career will permit me enough free time. (Right now things look pretty grim on the free-time front, but at least business is good!)

stavka2000 wrote: Heating the area to be soldered is the best...

I'm hoping this is one of the problems that resistance soldering may help me solve. It's hard to heat a small brass part that is being attached to a large brass part -- the larger part wicks away the heat so you end up heating a large area. Then, as you pointed out, the solder flows over that entire area. Of course, just as much wicking occurs with resistance soldering, but you can at least initially apply the heat to a much more concentrated area.

-Neil
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 09:56 PM UTC
I finally decided to buy a resistance soldering system. I got an American Beauty brand, which is sold by Micro-Mark (and others), and their end-of-summer sale made the price
attractive.

My initial response is: awesome! My structural soldering improved more in one day than all my previous attempts put together. It was frustrating for the first two hours or so -- it took a while to get a feel for it -- but I can see my other soldering iron gathering dust from here on out. I got the 250W unit, and it should even handle most brazing chores.

I’m not sure the price point is good for the occasional modeler, or even the dedicated modeler who works mostly in styrene. However, I think model railroad and ship enthusiasts would love it – and armor modelers building in 1/16-scale and up or doing R/C – anything where metal is the material and structural strength is required. In my case, metal work is major part of my hobby life, so the expense is justified. That being the case, it is nice to have the system around for those times when it can be used on a model!

-Neil
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally decided to buy a resistance soldering system. I got an American Beauty brand, which is sold by Micro-Mark (and others), and their end-of-summer sale made the price
attractive.

My initial response is: awesome! My structural soldering improved more in one day than all my previous attempts put together. It was frustrating for the first two hours or so -- it took a while to get a feel for it -- but I can see my other soldering iron gathering dust from here on out. I got the 250W unit, and it should even handle most brazing chores.

I’m not sure the price point is good for the occasional modeler, or even the dedicated modeler who works mostly in styrene. However, I think model railroad and ship enthusiasts would love it – and armor modelers building in 1/16-scale and up or doing R/C – anything where metal is the material and structural strength is required. In my case, metal work is major part of my hobby life, so the expense is justified. That being the case, it is nice to have the system around for those times when it can be used on a model!

-Neil

I am glad you have a happy medium to work with. Me if I was to do a little more soldering I too would invest in a Resistance system the way I look at it the proper tool for the job makes it easier ,safer and fun instead of hair pulling as your piece falls away just as it got hot enough for the solder to stick. Heck down the road I just might get one to learn something new. Congrats on the decision
 _GOTOTOP