TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Last Samurai
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hey, when someone sees this please post a review. Having studied ancient Japanese history as well as semi-modern and seeing Shogun miniseries probably 6 complete times, I would love to know the calibre of this. Might try to see it over the Holidays if it's a winner
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC
While I haven't seen it (not released until 12-5), I did see a review by Roeper and Ebert and they both said it was an excellent movie, though Cruise looks a little too modern for the era. From what I have seen, the movie looks outstanding and I too look forward to seeing it
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
Did you guys know it was made in New Zealand? Tom cruise gave a heap of money to a local school near where they were shootting it.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you guys know it was made in New Zealand? Tom cruise gave a heap of money to a local school near where they were shootting it.

Seems every big budget movie is making in the anzacland now, verie disturbing state of affairs. LOL.

But I really look forward to watch this one as well.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
I think New Zealand is chosen because it has such a wide variety of scenery in such a small area. When I win the Texas lottery, I think I'll go there to live. Do the females like American men?
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 11:28 AM UTC
Blaster,
The Woman like any men that are foriegn, Its a great country to live in you can fish and hunt all you want. The only problem is we don't have defence that would able to defend us,They probaly couldn't even defend Hong Kong
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:00 PM UTC
From what I've seen and read, you guys can be pretty bad a$$ when it gets down to it. So as long as you aren't being pushed that's cool
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:09 AM UTC
The guy on CNN reviewed it this morning. He said the only minor thing wrong with it was Tom Cruise basically played, big surprise, Tom Cruise. He said you never really got into believing Cruise was anything other than Cruise and compared it to Master and Commander where you quickly forgot you were watching Russel Crowe and started believing he was Jack Aubrey. The reviewed also said that The Last Samurai was a cross between Dances with Wolves and Braveheart but, as he put it, these were both pretty good movies so that isn't a bad thing. Basically he said the movie was pretty good, not great, but worth watching.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:42 PM UTC
I heard that it gets pretty cheesy. Like Cruise teaching the Japanese to play baseball and stuff like that...

Want to see it but, not sure until I hear that's it's not too sappy.

Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
I can deal with ignorant story line... I guess it's the History Major in me rather than the English. I look for historically accurate events, clothing, and battles. I guess that's why I enjoyed Pearl Harbor. I didn't give a rat's behind about the characters, was more interested in how they portrayed the death of the Arizona (spectacular!). I have heard good reviews about the Last Samuri. But, critics be damned. I make my own decisions
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:35 PM UTC
Saw the movie this afternoon - in short- a great movie!

It was a little cheesy (the baseball scene was barely 45 seconds long) - not too sappy. The general storyline is one of rebirth of the soul - Hollywood has done MANY movies with that storyline, so it's hard not to get a little 'cheesy' .

The 'cheesiness' (if that's a word) can be construed from the extremes of the storytelling - (basic plotline to be mentioned now- you probably already read this) - a Civil War soldier who saw the horrors of Gettysburg, and later, the slaughter of defenseless Sioux, finds honor (and a meaning of life) with the samurai. The slight 'cheesiness' is inherent in this type of transformation story. I think in part because some movies try to use this plot device, use it badly, and a 'cheesy' movie is made. So, when a movie like the Last Samurai comes along, we seem to expect a bit of 'cheesiness' based on past experience .
This movie rises above that. A great movie that I'll see again in the theaters.

hmmm, what's the Immigration policy of New Zealand? What a beautiful country!

Peter
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
Well, I also have seen the movie and likewise It's one great film.. Sometimes, movie critiques..are wrong!!!
New Zealand is unbelievable...wasn't it that LOTR was also filmed there?
By the way, the "TROY" movie tralier was shown.. another film worth watching..
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
Well, I used one of my free tickets to see this and it was GRAND!! I loved Dances with Wolves, and there are the usual similarities/comparisons made. I think they both come out on top using the plot line. I studied ancient Japanese history 25 years ago, and the name Toranaga ad the Samuri rebellion comes to mind so I would say this one is historical. I thought the battle scenes were spectacular. This will be a dvd purchase for me when it comes out. And I saw that trailer for "TROY". That sure looks like an OH_WOW_EEEE to me.
blah
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can deal with ignorant story line... I guess it's the History Major in me rather than the English. I look for historically accurate events, clothing, and battles. I guess that's why I enjoyed Pearl Harbor. I didn't give a rat's behind about the characters, was more interested in how they portrayed the death of the Arizona (spectacular!). I have heard good reviews about the Last Samuri. But, critics be damned. I make my own decisions

lol, the first thing i noticed in pearl harbor, when they have the guys flying planes in the beginning at a gruman field on long island, they had giant mountains in the background and evrything. all of you might not of noticed anything, but since im from long island and know the are no mountains here, lol. i think the highest spot on the island is like 400 feet above sea level, and its just a hill