Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Why I Won't Use the US Postal Service
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 12:40 AM UTC
Went to the post office, earlier this week. I had an online quote of $16 to ship a package overseas. When I got there, the line was out the door. 15 minutes later, I was inside. There was only one person serving the customers. I could hear at least six more voices, coming from the back. The employee at the counter kept ringing for help. His notice was ignored. When I finally got to the counter, another 20 minutes later, he quoted me $60 for the package. "Well, you must have entered incorrect information, for it to be $16." From now on, I ship UPS or FedEx.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC
Matt , I ship a lot and for an overseas package for $16.00 some where there was a mistake, If you need to ship over seas look to DHL as you will find that FedEx and UPS will be costly, more than $16.00. as for your Post Station they are going through a personal reduction and the Postal union when its break time its break time. I am at the Post office
every other day and if you look there are new machines that you can use to send your mail out with out speaking to a postal worker, I prefer human interaction rather a machine.
Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 06:24 AM UTC
This is not the only incident. A few months ago, I had to buy a sticker that had "To:" and "From:" printed on it. This was their new labeling system. It did not matter that I had "To:x" and "From:y" already clearly marked. This was not a new regulation. That is the only time I ever had to buy one. Around 10 months ago, the lady at the counter refused to cash my postal money order. She said that her money "was for customers only". I have had the post office refuse to ship a package that was wrapped, with packing tape. The reason, it wasn't the tape sold by the postal service.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC
Sounds like You have made some friends there, I was a my station today and needed to ship a print to Canada and the agent told me to cut an inch off the tube and save $18.00 on shipping. I use my own labels, tape and cash MO and I live in the great Nanny State . Attitude will get you a long way with them
Jim
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
I've NEVER had them say I had to use their tape whether in my town or in the city across the river where I would not be known as a regular. They've always been polite. UPS is okay, but it won't go to a post office box and they have more than once rejected a package due to it's wrapping. They cost more across the board, at least for the average guy...maybe LL Bean can cut a deal. The last time I used UPS, I was sending a commission piece that was well cushioned and packed. It arrived in pieces and I had to reassembled and repaint it for my customer and it got to him safely by USPS. Further, for overseas shipping, I sent an EBay sale to Switzerland for about the same as a domestic delivery. Whenever possible, I use their Priority flat rate boxes, prepriced for anything under 75 pounds which now include a tracking number.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC
I have had only good experiences with UPS. Restructuring or not, the post office should learn how to write a work schedule. Like, possibly expecting that one person can't hold the job down on his or her own. Reschedule with two non-union employees working the same shift.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 11:23 AM UTC
Sounds like an episode of Night Gallery Matt.

I've noticed new people at our PO and "Help Wanted" signs all over too.

~ Jeff