_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Panzer lll / Bold Future Project. HELP!
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
Group;

I tinker around allot, and build all kinds of models and I'm just hobbyist. I don't compete in any shows. Its mainly for me and I give them away as gifts to friends and co-workers who have an interest. I have a aircraft project on the workbench now for a friend but this next one will be for me as a test of my scratch building skills.

1. The project will be a Panzer 3 / German WW2 tank.
2. I have a card model from Fiddlers Green card models that I will use as a template.
3. I will make this very large scale, maybe 1/24. I think it would be much more workable at that scale.
4. It will be 100% scratch build using sheet plastic, card stock and other items in my parts bin.

I want to attempt a full interior build. Drivers compartment, gun turret, engine. I will also make it with hatches that open.

I'm just in the planning stages, and I'm sure this part will take me months.

I need help from the group. What plastic kit has a good interior to follow as a guide?

What about a cut a way plan so I can see inside?

Any help would be great. I also plan on documenting this project so others can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks for the help and you can PM with you comments or post them.

Thanks
Sam
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
I don't know of any Panzer III kits that include an interior. I believe that Tank Workshop and Verlinden makes interiors for the III. I would recommend Osprey Panzerkampfwagen III Medium Tank 1936-44 by Bryan Perrett. Here are a couple of photos, from this book.

Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
Matt;

Great Info!

Do you think the project can be done?

Sam
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 11:12 AM UTC
I am constantly surprised by what is possible. I think; with enough patience, determination and time; it is possible. The only thing I can foresee is, the tracks may present a problem. I'm not sure what scales they are available for. Of course, if you scratch one, you can cast it as many times as you like.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 04:10 PM UTC
Matt:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I agree with you and this will be a long on going project. I have no clue how I would cast or make the tracks.

Research, research, research!

Thanks,
Sam M
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
Did a little looking, for you. You can find them in 48, 72, 35 and 1/16th scale. From what I can find, they are not available in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.
 _GOTOTOP