Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
WWII and Korean War Vet
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Francis A. Miller(my grandfather) served on the John Brown destroyer, in WWII; and served a second tour and the same destroyer type, during the Korean War. He turns 87, this year. Unfortunately, the doctors say that there is nothing they can do for him. His body has simply run its course. I don't expect to see him, for Christmas. He and his wife(Louise Miller) are both patients in a long term care facility. She has stage 4 cancer and is not expected to survive much more than a month. Please pray for them. Not for a recovery, but for mercy.

His most recent lab results determine that he has stage 4 kidney failure. The latest batch of results are still out. I will know the determination, tomorrow. They are expected to be worse.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 10:29 PM UTC
I hope the results of the tests are better than what you are expecting Matt. They'll both be in my thoughts.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
Thank you, Karl.
I forgot to mention that he was present, from the beginning of WWII to the end. He witnessed the signing of Japan's unconditional surrender and was part of the naval assault of Tokyo. Unfortunately, his mind is too far gone to discuss things that happened so long ago.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
Well, his mind is now completely gone. This is why he was wearing sunglasses, inside. He just found a pair and decided he needed to wear them. My grandmother went back into the hospital. The pain meds are not keeping up. Still don't know the results of the blood work.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 979 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 02:24 AM UTC
I am very sorry to hear about your Grandfather.

He is obviously a very brave man serving his country in two wars
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 03:43 PM UTC
Thank you. He just went back to the hospital. They are saying it is a matter of days, now.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 05:40 PM UTC
So sorry to hear this. We lost my dad, a WWII vet a year ago last weekend. He was sharp til the end. My mom finally made her exit in July, she'd been gone for quite a while by then.

They're a treasure, we never fully appreciated them when they were with us. Via con Dios.