_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
How do You Cut PE Tread Plate?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 07:40 AM UTC
I need to cut a large circle out of pe tread plate for my first scratch build/kit bash. I have a circle cutter, but it is far from sharp enough to do the job. I can't free hand it, with a razor knife. I thought about scissors, but am afraid they would warp the pe. I'd greatly appreciate anyone who knows how to do this letting me in on their technique.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 08:16 AM UTC
Matt,

If you can have a hole in the center of the circle of treadplate, I would rough-cut a circle larger than needed, mount it on my dremel tool and use a file & emory board while the disks spins to make it round and of the size needed.

Otherwise, maybe use a really good set of PE shears.

HTH
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
I know this has been brought up, before. But, does anybody know of tread plate styrene close to 1:35?
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 10:31 AM UTC
Method A: Cut a circle the size you need from thick styrene, clamp the pe sheet to it and scribe around the circle. A carbide tipped scriber or the back edge of a chisel blade should do the trick. Patience and multiple passes. Dress the edges with a file or fine wet and dry and paper.

Method B: If you need a backing sheet to make the pe thicker, simply glue the pe to the correct sized circle and scribe as above.

The circle cutter just may do the job too, have to be careful with the pressure though. Oh, and scribe from the back side of the etch.

Kimmo
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 11:06 AM UTC
Just found Archer's surface texture for German vehicles. Now, all I have to do is cut a styrene disk to size.
Thank you for the replies.
 _GOTOTOP